Southwest Florida LHBS run!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDom

Reaction score
I'm planning on running to Hearts Homebrew in Orlando sometime this month to pick up a few sacks of grain, and was wondering if anyone in the local area would like me to pick something up for them while I'm up there. Everything else I usually get online from AHS or morebeer, but bulk grains aren't too shipping-friendly. We'll be driving a Honda Pilot, so we'll have a decent amount of room after I load up my 5 or so sacks of grain. Any takers?

If you don't mind, let us know how the experience goes. I live 30 minutes away, but have been to Heart's. Have heard mixed reviews about the service. Would like to see if it is worth the venture.

I've been there once, and ordered online once. When I went in, the guy seemed like he lived in a constant state of swamped. He was plenty helpful and friendly once it was your turn, but at that point he was there by himself, and there were a bunch of customers in and out. While I was there a bunch of people came in and picked up online orders that he'd apparently pulled for them ahead of time, so that's what I plan on doing this time. For grains in bulk without ordering a pallet, I don't see how I could do much better than Hearts. Plus, the wife and I have friends we don't visit often in Orlando, so combining the trip makes everyone happy.

When I ordered online, I got a new auto-siphon, some dry yeast, a few pounds of specialty grains and leaf and pellet hops. I was perfectly happy with everything but the hops, which came in a twist-tied plastic bag. The leaf hops (fuggles) were kinda plain smelling, so I just figured I just wouldn't buy hops there again. Now, the hops could have been fine, but I'm spoiled on the quality of hops I get from morebeer and hopsdirect, so take that for what it's worth.

I'll certainly update this thread with my impressions after going, whether it ends up being a group buy or just me.

I have been twice. I recently moved to the area. The first time was very curt, not rude or unprofessional, but just all business. There was no chit-chat. I had placed my order ahead of time, as requested on the site, and he seemed to expect that I would pick up and leave. I had a few questions, and I got good answers, but very much to the point.

The second time was much more friendly, more what I would have expected. He was enthusiastic and happy to chat about brewing. It was a different guy the second time.

What's the tome difference between the drive to o-town vs. Tampa? Southern brewing and winemaking is awesome. I can't believe hoe mecum better it is than any other store I've been in. Of course that may not be saying much. I also don't know about bulk orders. They have been super friendly and helpful just give them a call.

You know, the only reason I never checked out Southern Brewing is because their website has been under construction for a few years now. Or, at least it is now, and was a few years ago when I was searching around for a HBS. I might give them a shout and see how their prices stack up. They save me about 45mins of drive time, so it may be worth it. Thanks!

Back