Southern Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
Well the military has me moving yet again. Hopefully this is the last one though. I will be moving near pax river Maryland. About an hour or so south of Washington dc. Does anyone have any insight to the area as far as lhbs, clubs, or good breweries?

Not sure on LHBS because I am about 90 minutes from there. For clubs check out the Maryland Homebrewers Guild. http://www.mdhomebrewers.com/ it is the parent club over all the homebrew clubs in MD. As far as breweries you will probably have to get closer to civilization to find anything decent.
This link can help you find breweries https://marylandbeer.org/brewing-companies/maryland-beer-map/ then Beer Advocate, Ratebeer, or Untapp'd to figure out if they are worth stopping at.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can find some other like minded people in a club and a decent hb store once I get there.

Depending on how much you brew, we have a decent sized bulk grain/group buy effort, DC Group Buy. We put an order in about 3-4 times a year. Pick up is at 3 Stars Brewery, on the north side of DC, about a good hour from you, similar as it is for me (Pasadena) or people from Baltimore city or county. Worth checking out. For most base malts people order whole sacks, but we do splits for all other malts.

As @csurowiec said, the MD Homebrew Guild is an excellent resource. Per @mikeasu, +1 to Maryland Homebrew, being there is an experience. They'll ship too. There are also good homebrew shops in the Northern VA area. And breweries.

Calvert Brewing in Prince Frederick has some pretty good beers. Mully's Brewery in the same town sometimes has some good one-offs on tap, although their bottled product is mostly pretty average. Ruddy Duck Brewpub is probably closest to you. Never been there.

Fredericksburg has a good LHBS, but it's a little bit of a hike for you. Not terrible, but I used to commute to Pax from Fredericksburg for 2 years. About 90 minutes to drive there from Pax. Make it a day trip and hit the new small brewpubs that seemed to have popped here like weeds.

I'm in Clinton and will be moving to Charles county in a few months. I don't think it's any HB shops in that area. Pm we can discuss thou

I will definitely be getting with you islandlizard when I get there. I always buy my base malt by the sack. So ill probably buy at least 2.

Glad to hear Maryland Homebrew is still around. Started my brewing hobby in '94 while living in Ellicott City and that was my favorite store (it was the only store).

Jorb I saw your pm and now for some reason I can't get into my inbox again to reply. An app issue maybe?

As far as the water goes I normally install an RO in the new house and build my water up. That way there's no guess work.😁

I'm in Charles County and can definitely say to jump in on the DC group grain buy!

I went to a homebrew meeting at Danny's house (of Danny's homebrew) one time. Had fun and around 6 people brewing, just have not had time to make it back for another one. I believe I connected with them at St. Mary's Beer Fest.

Well tomorrow morning we get on the road to make the trip across the country. I'm hoping Maryland is everything I'm envisioning it will be.

Glad to hear Maryland Homebrew is still around. Started my brewing hobby in '94 while living in Ellicott City and that was my favorite store (it was the only store).

Yeah, they seem to be doing well - don't know what it was like in '94 (only been living here since Jan 2015), but room for cheese making supplies, room for wine stuff, and the big warehouse room in the back for beer. Grain bin room has two or three mills.

Back