South African Castle Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellow52

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and are planning for my 3rd brew. I brew extract and the recipe I have calls for these ingredients. Where can I get the exact list?

2.5L German light crystal malt
German Vienna malt

M&F extra-light DME
corn sugar
Spalt @ 5% AA (% HBU) (bittering hop)

Tettnanger (flavour hop)
German Hallertaau Hersbrucker (flavor hop)
Irish moss

Tettnanger (aroma hop)

Wyaest 2007 Pilsen lager

I would like to order all from one source and if at all possible with no substitutions.

Thanks!

Did i post in the wrong section? Where is the best source for these ingredients? Also how long can I store cracked grain? Is it better to crack grain myself?

Thanks!

Hey Mellow52, may I ask where you got this recipe from? Also would you mind posting it?

would also love to see the recipe, as I am from south africa. As far as ingrediants go.... I dont know??,,,,many people talk about Austin Home Brew shop??

DannyD, according to the castle lager site, the only ingredients is local pale malt produced in Caledon and Southern Star hops, they mention nothing about corn, but I am sure they add it, and there is no mention of specialty malts.

I am not really interested in brewing this for myself, but I have had numerous requests from non craft drinking friends to try brew a clone, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I just added random amounts of the ingredients listed above. I think it is though because it calls for M & F DME which is now just Muntons and thats the only place I've seen 'M & F'.

DannyD, according to the castle lager site, the only ingredients is local pale malt produced in Caledon and Southern Star hops, they mention nothing about corn, but I am sure they add it, and there is no mention of specialty malts.

I am not really interested in brewing this for myself, but I have had numerous requests from non craft drinking friends to try brew a clone, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

smash...
Pale malt from Caledon....Check!
Souther (promise*) hops....Check!
Seems I have a batch of castle fermenting in the frige then!! :cross: still to early to say what it would taste like?

(* Beer legends gave a good breakdown and it looks more suited to lagers?)

Back