Sour smelling apfelwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaatu

Reaction score
I did Edworts recipe to the letter before and again this time. The first few times came out good. All was made as 5 gal batch then divided into 1 gal
bottles. The differance is that I bought a 6 gal better boy for a 6 gal batch.
That batch came out sour smelling. I had to raise and lower off the floor several times during fermantation. The 1 gal glass bottles were no trouble.The 6 gal plastic better boy sucked in some air every move. Could
I have sucked in some trash? Is there a chance that the sour will age out?
Should I trash the lot and the plastic BB. It is all in 1 L EZ bottles now.
One more question. I'm useing a product called one step to clean.It says that it is a cleaner. It
does not say it sanitizes. The LHBS says that it will do both. That does not sound right to me.
Soap and water will clean but bleach will sanitize. I did not use bleach on the better boy, just
the one step stuff.

Thanks
Rick

I wonder if you didn't have some problems with off flavors from the lees when you raised and lowered it?

If anything, my posting a response will bring it back to the top of the list for people to see it again.

Back