Sorry . . . another dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
I dry hopped with pellets . . . all that I had at the time. Now, I am looking at the been in secondary and wondering how I am going to put it in my bottling bucket without getting all of that hop mess in with it :confused:

Am I going to lose a lot of beer? Will these settle to the bottom if left long enough? Can anyone recommend a method for getting the beer off of the hop while leaving the hops behind?

i have heard of good success with sanitizing a nylon hop bag and putting it over the end of the racking cane to filter out the hops on syphoning

theyll settle out after about a week, i use pellets for dry hopping and havent had a problem. You might get one or two bottles with a hop flake in them but thats a good thing if you ask me...

Does your racking cane have a tip at the end like this? This cane is $2.50 at morebeer. Better yet get the auto-siphon This is $13 at northern brewer

4030.jpg

I put a special mark on the caps of the last 4-6 bottles of each batch. Knowing that they're the ones most likely to have some trub in them, I open those first and/or generally make a point of not serving them to guests, giving them as gifts, etc.

If I'm worried about trub, I use a SS hose clamp to attach a small hops bag over the end of the siphon hose in the bottling bucket, rather than over the racking cane, which I find makes siphoning very slow. This way, only the small amounts of trub that make it into the siphon hose to begin with have to be filtered through the mesh bag.

I sanitize the bag and the hose clamp, of course.

Thanks guys! I will wait for them to settle out . . . this was my main question.

I don't mind a few hops flakes in my beer . . . but the layer of mossy looking hops junk is just not appetizing.:)

Back