Some Random Observations of France, reporting from Molsheim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
  • They like to make road signs here. I've never seen so many signs.
  • They also like Phil Collins. He's like the David Hasselhoff of France! Ugh.
  • Stay off the A-routes when possible. At one point, I approached an A-route, and they had a new roundabout there which confused my SatNav, and I ended up going the wrong way. With 30km between exits, it was awhile before I could turn around. Bloody hell. I've had so many problems with the A-routes here, it blows my mind. Nothing is clear...today, they simply had a whole portion of the A-35 closed. Just closed. Luckily, SatNav recalculates very quickly!
  • Speaking of SatNav, I would leave my underwear at home before I would leave SatNav. Indispensible. I cannot express how necessary this is. It has saved us countless hours of mapping routes, and countless headaches from getting turned around.
  • France needs to get on the whole "eggs and bacon for breakfast" bandwagon. "Petit Dejeuner", or breakfast, consists wholly of bread, jelly and fruit. Granted, the breads and jellies are awesome (especially quince jelly), but I'm hungry 45 minutes later. Eggs!!!! Bacon!!!! Vive Revolution!
  • The Cote d'Or, or Burgundy Proper, sucks. It's a big tourist trap and the people are kinda dicks. I'll not go back.
  • Marrowbone is just that: marrow. In a bone. With a bowl of salt. If you see this on a menu, don't order it unless it's a joke. Marrow is for soups, not for eating whole!
  • Also, if the menu says "baitfish" it means "bait fish". I ordered this for the wife, while I was having marrowbone, thinking that "baitfish" was a local Saumur coloquialism for whitefish. I was wrong. It's minnows, deep-fried. I'm still catching sh*t.
  • In general, people are VERY nice here, even to Americans. If you make the smallest attempt to speak French, they will appreciate it.
  • Every town, no matter how small, looks like it belongs in a painting. I never thought it possible, but you actually do get desensitized to the beauty after awhile.
  • Outside of the A-routes and maybe the N's, France apparently doesn't know how to build shoulders on the roads. There is very little room for error.
  • Outside of Phil Collins, they play the same 6 or 7 songs on the radio here. It's worse than the US. And they never play more than 2 songs in a row without talk. I swear, the DJ's must get paid by the word! Now that we're almost in Germany, the stations are getting better, though.
  • The TGV (electric superfast train) is badass. We went from Paris to Tours in about an hour, speeding through the countryside at about 330 kph.
  • Roundabouts really do work.
  • The metric system is the tool of the devil. But it's still better than imperial.
  • I miss my dogs, and I miss bacon and eggs for breakfast, and I miss my beer. There's a lot of Kronenbourg here (there's actually a huge K-Bourg brewery 5 mins from here), but most places also have a blonde abbey ale like Grimbergen, which is very nice. I did find a couple bottles of artisan Loire beer, and they were pretty good. But overall, this is a K-Bourg and Wine Country. I had something odd tonight...didn't realize what I was ordering, but it was a biere with orange liquior added. Very odd.
  • People are playing GTA IV right now, and even though I'm in Alsace and drinking unbelievable wine as I type this, I am jealous.
  • It's good to be back in a hotel...bed+breakfasts, while nice, are strange after awhile. No teevee or intarwebs for 5 days? The hell you say!
  • After almost 2 weeks of French food, it was so nice to arrive in what is essentially Germany. We were talking about Checrout Garnie (Alsacian dish of sauerkraut and various pork) all day long; we found a restaurant tonight in Obernai which had "Checrout Royale", which they said fed 2. It feeds 4. It was a 9X12 dish filled with enough sauerkraut to drown a baby, and topped with many pounds of pork. You can see my picture of it below.

I'm sure there are more...but whatever. I love it here. We actually got to see Le Corbusier's Notre Dame du Haut at Ronchamp today...a mecca for us architects. Hope this place hasn't fallen apart without me.

Oh, here are some pics from today, btw.

Bonsoir!

Did you have to use a French keyboard. Those REALLY suck.

800px-Rwanda-B3.png

beergears said:
I think there is an auto museum in Molsheim...?

With some Bugattis...??

We're staying at "Hotel Bugatti", next door to the old factory. I'll have to seek this museum out.

Bill: yeah, we're very close to the border. All the radio stations have turned German-speaking already. :D

Sounds like you're having fun Evan! I went last September, so I can certainly relate to a lot of your experiences. Except I LOVE bone marrow...spread on a slice of grilled baguette with a little sea salt. Spectacular!

I can also confirm that the French are generally quite nice, even to Americans. I found people in bars to be MUCH more friendly than those in London, which really surprised me. They definitely appreciate you even attempting to use the language, just a few words will turn a scowling waiter into a helpful friend. It's such a beautiful language, and to be honest, it's slowly dying and becoming more globally insignificant each day...you can understand why they are somewhat defensive about it.

Anyhow, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself!

PeteOz77 said:
You just use both of those hands on either side of the spacebar... BOTH HANDS ABOVE YOUR HEAD!

They don't even have an ESCAPE key....
yeah but when is the last time you used the escape key? I bet I've never used it on the keyboard I own.

Where's the @ symbol?

And great trip report, Evan! Glad to see you're having a good time. Now get out of that hellhole and get thee to Germany for some real beers!

In Sweden you get sandwiches and coffee for breakfast. And not breakfast sandwiches either...like ham and salami with lettuce, tomato, and mustard sandwich. It was pretty weird eating a sandwich at 7am.

Air Pirate said:
just wait til you go to Japan and eat pan fried fish at 7 am. with a little miso soup and rice to top it off.

*that* was a tad strange the first time around

Looks like a fun trip Evan. :)

Ah....just like having a bowl of spicy Pho with nuoc nam when the sun rises :rockin:

Evan! said:
  • Speaking of SatNav, I would leave my underwear at home before I would leave SatNav. Indispensible. I cannot express how necessary this is. It has saved us countless hours of mapping routes, and countless headaches from getting turned around.

Ahhhhhhhhh yes, freeballin en Frances.

Evan! said:
  • Also, if the menu says "baitfish" it means "bait fish". I ordered this for the wife, while I was having marrowbone, thinking that "baitfish" was a local Saumur coloquialism for whitefish. I was wrong. It's minnows, deep-fried. I'm still catching sh*t.

• I remember many years ago a fishing trip with my buddy, and we were out in his boat fishing for crappies using live minnows. Well you have to put the minnows on the hooks with your fingers and there really is no way to wash you hands. Our main snack that day was minnow flavored pork rinds. I can still taste it. Actually I'm very fond of all kinds of little Asian minnows, especially the dried ones. While bigger than minnows, fresh sardines (and smelt too) totally rule!

Evan you crack me up....and I'm mad jealous....I'm working :(

But I have GTAIV and got myself a PSP to boot! That's the tits!

98EXL said:
Evan you crack me up....and I'm mad jealous....I'm working :(

But I have GTAIV and got myself a PSP to boot! That's the tits!

That IS the tits, chief. I watched the IGN video review today, and it made me squirm. I wanna play so bad.

Evan! said:
That IS the tits, chief. I watched the IGN video review today, and it made me squirm. I wanna play so bad.

that's why I went and picked it up......turning on my PS3 from the road and watching videos? Way to cool for school

PseudoChef said:
In Sweden you get sandwiches and coffee for breakfast. And not breakfast sandwiches either...like ham and salami with lettuce, tomato, and mustard sandwich. It was pretty weird eating a sandwich at 7am.

Well, I've never really thought about it before, but you're right, sandwiches are pretty common for breakfast in Sweden. However, I'd choose a typical Swedish breakfast over any german or french breakfast any time.

Maybe that's why all Swedes look so damn good;)

H

PS Noticing you avatar, what's you connection to Sweden? DS

Henrik said:
Well, I've never really thought about it before, but you're right, sandwiches are pretty common for breakfast in Sweden. However, I'd choose a typical Swedish breakfast over any german or french breakfast any time.

Maybe that's why all Swedes look so damn good;)

H

PS Noticing you avatar, what's you connection to Sweden? DS

Just heritage. My Grandparents on my Dad's side are Swedish. So I guess that makes me 2nd generation American or something. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon back in 2005.

And obviously my favorite hockey team here is the Wings, and the fact that their roster contains almost half Swedes is just coincidence :)

Oh, man, that choucroute looks redonk. I've been dying to try authentic Alsatian choucroute ever since I read "The Man Who Ate Everything." Have fun on the rest of the trip, and be safe!

Back