Some questions from a collegue homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luca.ulivieri

Reaction score
I have been an homebrewer for many years and now I would like an experience in gin distillation. There are several themes a little obscure to me, and that I thought I would tackle step by step, studing and asking (here in Italy nobody gives information among craft distillers ...). I ask if anyone can kindly explain to me some things that are not clear to me:
1) where can recipes be found, to produce the grist to be distilled after you've fermented it? (corn + wheat + malt + .... or whatever?)
2) I read that the pH of the mash is very important to avoid the production of sulphurous acid and copper sulphate: what are the risk-free ranges and why are these components formed?
3) are there risks of making heavy other metals by mistake during distillation and which ones?
4) once the first distillation has ended, how much must the alcohol obtained be diluted, to avoid explosions, or risks, during the second distillation?
Thank you so much to who would help me to understand more..

Back