Solera base recipe question. About to kick off a Solera project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
and I made my final selections on frementers (2 x 15.9 gallon Speidels...I may add a third down the line to really get the party started).

Anyway was going to go with a super simple base recipe with a 60% Pilsner/40% White Wheat malt (from morebeer which is my LHBS). I was going to use Czech Saaz hops 1 oz.

Was going to mash in @ 156 f for 90 minutes. Fly sparge then boil for 90 minutes.

Was going to do a double batch to fill up the two fermenters to about 14-15 gallons each (hopefully).

I am hoping to start with an OG of approx. 1.054-1.056.

Plan on using a WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1.

Thoughts?

Why use any hops at all? I'm just starting to do solera researching and don't plan on adding anything that may inhibit souring. I was thinking about Speidels as well if I don't do a barrel so let me know how you like them :)

That is almost an identical recipe to what I did on my Solera.
I used a Sanke. I racked into the Sanke from 3 different carboys to reduce the amount of yeast/trub.
I used hops as well. I always used hops unless I am using Lacto P.

Looks great!

I have two soleras goning, one is in its third year and one in in its second. This was is real close to what I do. I'm 70% 30% in the grist and I do a turbid mash. 5ibu's aged hops.

Good luck! It's a ton of fun!!

Oh, and dregs!! You definitely will want to add dregs!

My buddy said he has a bunch of dregs he has been storing for this very purpose.....so will use his stash as well to build something up for each vessel. Depending on how things go I may add a third 15.9 gallon spiedel to really keep a good base on tap so I can pull/blend a fair bit as I go!

Why use any hops at all? I'm just starting to do solera researching and don't plan on adding anything that may inhibit souring. I was thinking about Speidels as well if I don't do a barrel so let me know how you like them :)

My first year solera had extremely low IBUs and it was extremely sour. The next year I upped the IBUs to help inhibit the lacto slightly.

I think having some hops in there is necessary unless you really know what your culture is like. The nice thing about a solera is you can always adjust over time to get the flavor and sourness profile you want.

I brewed an old stock ale I was planning to use to start a solera today. Since a solera requires a lot of aging, I upped the hops so the beer would have a longer life. Best of luck to all, this is my first time trying a solera!

I really want to start this project in the near future. I may start another thread on this, but I can't do a barrel and was leaning towards a Speidel, but I read some reviews where people had problems with seal on it. I'd hate to have a batch turn into vinegar. I may end up doing that anyway because I want to get something larger than 5 gal if possible and don't want to spend a ton of $$. I'm guessing people usually do a barrel, carboy(s), or Speidels for soleras?

a lot of people are using the Speidels for Soleras I got two of the 15.9 gallon ones and recently picked up a 1 bbl chronical so after primary fermentation and tasting the base batches I will we putting them all in the 1 bbl chronical where seal is not an issue (the unit is a SS Brewtech).

I just charged this bad boy, so I'll let you know how it works in 9+ months. It has a gasketed lid and I believe it held silica gel. I installed the spigot myself.

Attachments

• solera.jpg
    solera.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 105
I just charged this bad boy, so I'll let you know how it works in 9+ months. It has a gasketed lid and I believe it held silica gel. I installed the spigot myself.

What's the brand of that container? It doesn't look like any speidel I've seen.

a lot of people are using the Speidels for Soleras I got two of the 15.9 gallon ones and recently picked up a 1 bbl chronical so after primary fermentation and tasting the base batches I will we putting them all in the 1 bbl chronical where seal is not an issue (the unit is a SS Brewtech).
Dangit--now i want to go for a SS chronical! I'll probably start with plastic, but it's definitely something now on my <brew>bucket list.

Back