Software available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
  • ABC Brew 1.01 - Requires Lotus 1-2-3.
  • BeerAlchemy - native OSX app
  • Beer Formula Calculator 1.3 - Excel spreadsheet..
  • BeerMeister 2.0 - Mac OS 8 or higher or OS X versions available
  • Beer Recipator - Online recipe formulation page.
  • Beer Recipe Formulator , BRF20 Shareware DOS - Chris Campinelli
  • BeerSmith - One of the most popular brewing programs designed for the home and professional brewer. Compatible with Windows (All versions), Mac (10.5 and higher), and Linux/Ubuntu (Beta).
  • Beersmith2 Mobile for Android - just as the title says
  • Beersmith 2 Mobile for iOs - just as the title says
  • Beer Stein - Collector's Edition. Keep track of your beer stein collection with this package from Village Collectors for use with Windows 95 or higher.
  • Brewmate - free, light-weight and easy-to-use beer recipe designer
  • Brewtarget - Free and open source. Available for windows, mac, linux, and any other unix-like OS.
    BreWater 3.0 - Windows utility for analyzing and synthesizing brewing water. Version 3.0 adds a pH calculation for water built from ion-free water as well as a Formulation Wizard, which will do all the water design work for you if you're too lazy to fiddle with the salt sliders yourself. Freeware; new all-in-one setup program with uninstall utility.
  • Brew Log Pro 1.1 - For Palm.
  • Brewsta - design, store and edit beer recipes. Cross platform home brewing software. paul sorenson
  • Beer Tools - It's official, BeerTools Pro has launched. BeerTools Pro is a software package for formulating beer recipes, for designing mashing schedules and for calculating other factors when brewing beer. It is simple enough for the beginner yet powerful enough for the professional. BeerTools Pro has an interface for accessing recipes here at BeerTools.com. This means that you have access to over 5,400 recipes right away. BeerTools Pro is native for both Mac OS X and Windows 2000/XP/NT. Head on over to the store and check out the bundle options. Click here if you would you like to learn more about BTP.
  • Brew Wizard 1.61 - Shareware. Home brewing reference, recipe calculator, inventory control, style guide, shopping list.
  • Brewers Assistant - a free web application for managing your recipes, brewing log and schedule, boil additions, ingredients, and other HomeBrew-related activities
  • Brewer's Friend - set of brewing tools, also available as iPhone and Android apps
  • Home Brew Kit Master V1.4 - Home Brew Kit Master is a program for recording the details of your home brews, printing reports, calculating alcohol content, generating tasting sheets, and providing a searchable knowledge base of tips on home brewing. A great homebrewing aid, which will help you to create consistent homebrews. Suitable for all homebrewing kits, including beer, cider, and ginger beers. Shareware $15.
  • Homebrew Formulator - is an application for creating and managing beer recipes on Mac OS X. It is a Filemaker runtime application, so it has a powerful database driving its capabilities.
  • Homebrew Recipe Calculator 2.2 - Online program. designed to compute beer recipes and serve as a log for the brewing of those recipes. . Windows 3.1 or higher.
  • Lee's Brewery Beer Math and conversion JAVA calculator - Online program.
  • Lee's Brewery Hydrometer temperature correction JAVA applet - Online program.
  • Mashcalc - Downloadable program for mash calculations.
  • MashWater3.3 from http://suburb.semo.net/jthornton/BeerHome.htm This is a very simple and accurate (and free) calculator for mash water volumes.
  • ProBrewer.com - Online brewering and conversion tools.
  • ProMash - Commercial software designed for the experienced brewer. $24.95.
  • Qbrew: Linux software
  • SUDS 6.1 - SUDS is a brewer's database and log program. SUDS 6.1 is for Windows 9x/NT/ME or 2000. This program provides a single place to put all of your recipes, log entries and miscellaneous brewing comments. Provided is a formatted log entry system, Recipe formulator, water addition calculator and a host of other features. There is now a handheld version for Windows CE as well. Finally you can bring your recipe formulator into your brewery with you.
  • StrangeBrew 1.7 - Powerful and easy to use recipe database for all types of homebrewers.
  • Tinibuw IBU calculator 0.09 - Downloadable program.

The Homebrew formulator link doesn't work. It goes to the developers family photos, and requires a password.

On that subject, are there any other Mac users that have tried both Beer Alchemy and Beer Tools pro? I am going to get one or the other.

I've never tried BeerTools, but I use BeerAlchemy. I like some things about it (the integration of the batches with the recipes), but I think it could use some work for things like mash calculations.

Wouldn't hurt for someone to correct the spelling in the thread title. Might make it a bit easier to find when searching, etc.

How about adding the work of our member njnear76...?

h**p://njnear76.bravehost.com/

I cannot speak for him, but I think his inspiration is Palmer's methods.

(We corresponded over minor typos and UI details)

Any one recommend one software over the other? The "Beer Alchemy" software seems to be the most user friendly, but I dont run MAC and dont want to have to run my brewing software in an emulator. Ive tinkered with "Beer Smith" and its seems to be quite thorough, but me being a homebrewing noob, there are a lot of fields I dont know how to fill out.

Qbrew is also available for Windows (I use it currently). The install folder can be copied to a flash drive for portability - it is completely self-contained install. Not great, but gets the job done. I am thinking up buying ProMash, but so far my beer $ keeps getting diverted to ingredients.

I've been working on a new web-based brewing software suite. Brewtility.com

I'd been wanting an all-in-one place for various calculators and recipe creation and I wanted it online so I could get access to it from wherever. I never was able to find what I was looking for, so last month I started working on it.

It's far from complete, but there's a good recipe creator, and a starting set of calculators plus a searchable database for those recipes made public. A few recipes up so far, but hopefully a lot more to come.

Brewtility.com

Check it out and let me know what you think.

I just came across a copy I have on a floppy of "Beer Recipe Formulator" version 1.0 (c) 1992 Chris Campanelli. Talk about flaskbacks to DOS. :D

Hello Orfy,

Are you able to add one more to the to the list?

BrewMate, the free, light-weight and easy-to-use beer recipe designer.

Many Thanks Rob.

No, I just noticed it a little bit ago... that there are a few dead links in the list. I just wanted to let someone know about it.

Let me know if anything needs adding.

Please add BrewBlogger to the list - it's free and open source.

Here's the description:
BrewBlogger is a easy to set up, easy to use, browser-based homebrew logging and calculation suite. It is a PHP/MySQL-based system that provides today's brewer not only a fast and easy way to record their brewing activities, recipes, and awards, but also forum to share their zymurgistic efforts and expertise with the homebrewing community around the world.​

The website address is in my signature.

Thanks!

iBrewMaster for the iPhone is an excellent app that I've been using for the past year. It allows you to enter your own recipies, or use one of the pre-loaded ones, completely edit grains/adjuncts, hops, yeasts, etc, both during recipie/batch input, and in the setup function, helps keep track of batches you have going, and generally makes my brew-day easier.
I'm still waiting for him to add an inventory management function;), but I'm sure it'll come eventually

Is there a list for web based calculators and recipe databases?

In my searches I have come accross a bunch but find hopville.com's beercalculus to be pretty nice.

QBrew is available for Windows, Mac and Linux now.

Linux version works great, I like it :)
I have Ubuntu on lappy and QBrew is included in software distribution - easy 1 click install, gets job done and is free!

hey I just asked if the trial period can be extended,whats "chatter about pirating software (illegal)" about that?
I dont want to hurt or offend anyone so why am I being censored?:(

hey I just asked if the trial period can be extended,whats "chatter about pirating software (illegal)" about that?
I dont want to hurt or offend anyone so why am I being censored?:(

Use Beersmith during the trial period. At the end of the trial period, buy it or don't. Don't try to figure out how to use the trial period indefinitely - that's wrong, pirating, and stealing.

If you really want to just try the software out a little longer, contact Brad at Beersmith and ask him.

I don't know where you're getting your copyright law info, but it's dead wrong. The only way to use even a portion of any copyrighted material is through Fair Use, and the laws for that are very specific in that you can't use an entire work, it can only be used for educational purposes, etc.

When you really think about it, the company is losing money by people sharing software with other people for free. That's a potential customer who is now not going to buy their software because they already have access to a free copy of it. It's the same thing as people file-sharing mp3s online, burning copies of CDs or movies for their friends, etc - completely illegal.

+1. Listen to this, he is 100% correct.

If yiu are using Windows on your PC without a license agreement from Microsoft, you have broken the law. You might disagree with the law, but its not a matter of interpreting the law. Look, there's plenty of open source software that's designed to be shared, I use it all the time. You can too.

More to the point here, you will get this forum in trouble if you use it to advocate people breaking the law. Copying and sharing copyrighted software without the permission of the developer or copyright holder is illegal.

Wow so on this forum people are censured just for expresing their opinion and debating something.

Back