sodas and kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
I have been kegging my beers for a good bit now and the kids keep bugging me for sodas. Is it best to get a dedicated keg for sodas only? I was reading that some of the sodas can leave a residue or taste in the kegs if you then use them for beers. Also I see that I'll need to run a higher pressure to serve with, 30ish psi right?

I've never had a problem with it, but on the stronger flavored ones I try to keep them in the keg for as little time as possible, and I always give the keg a really good cleaning afterwards. If a keg has a residual smell after I'm done cleaning and replacing o-rings, then I'll usually fill it full of tap water and let it sit for a week or two and then clean it again and that usually does the trick.

You'll probably want dedicated lines for root beer or cola as they're harder to clean, plus you'll want longer lines for serving at higher psi anyhow. Other flavors don't tend to leave any flavors or smells in my opinion.

So you don't necessarily need to dedicate a keg, but it might be less work for you if you do.

Thanks, I was thinking I'd serve from a picnic faucet. I have 4 kegs in my kegerator now, 4 door taps, and no room for another. I might try to just get a dedicated one, be better than having to change out the o rings each time.

Remember, most of the kegs held soda originally. Heck, most of the used kegs I got still had the dregs of old soda.

So for the most part, the main issue is as mentioned, o-rings, liquid lines (and flavor migration with lines that are close together), and cleaning. Sometimes it takes a bit more of a soak, so I usually do a standard wash, let it sit overnight with oxy or bleach water, then wash again. Or just wash once, use it for a batch of carbonated water, where I don't care if it has some remaining soda flavor.

Ended up finding a couple kegs cheap, grabbed some seals from McMaster so have plenty to swap if I ever switch the soda keg to a beer one and back. I think I'll just make one keg a dedicated that way I don't have to do it often. I have a spare regulator, just need a 5lb tank and fittings.

Great tips from above but I didn't see anyone mention not to use plated parts. The carbonic acid in seltzer or pre-mixed soda will eat away at any plated brass. Make sure you use stainless where your sodas will touch.

Great tips from above but I didn't see anyone mention not to use plated parts. The carbonic acid in seltzer or pre-mixed soda will eat away at any plated brass. Make sure you use stainless where your sodas will touch.

Actually that happens with beer too! Carbonic acid DOES eat plated parts, including chrome plated taps, I experienced this first hand. Problem with soda, at least the commercial soda's are that they also contain phosphoric acid ( double whammy!!) Not sure if some of the extract kits also contain this.

Line is cheap, and so are picnic taps.....save your faucets for beer;)

Do you need to do anything to prevent the soda from getting infected in the keg? I want to dispense soda, but I'm worried that it'll get infected since it's just sugar water.

Do you need to do anything to prevent the soda from getting infected in the keg? I want to dispense soda, but I'm worried that it'll get infected since it's just sugar water.

I don't believe so. Once you put the co2 in and since it's sanitized it's sealed against that... Just like beer.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

you might want to look at the post "2 kegs in and I'm sold using syrups" all you do is make up a quart of soda syrup and just carb water in your kegs never have to worry about those o rings picking up the soda flavor. That's the way I went. If I knew how to post the link I would have maybe someone will for me

If you keep it refrigerated it should be fine. It carbonates better under refrigeration, so if you have the space to do that it's best to just leave it there. With soda there's no reason to ever have it at room temperature if you have the fridge space, just mix and refrigerate while carbing. If you leave it at room temperature, then it will depend on your process, ingredients and sanitation.

Anything with a natural juice will likely start to ferment at room temp. If you have gunk in your CO2 lines, it could introduce something nasty. Or if you haven't been meticulous in your sanitation, then yes, it will be prone to some wild fermentation/infection.

Thanks for the great advice from everyone above. I have a question about "longer lines". How much longer? I have seen some guys say they use 20 feet of line for their soda. Is that abut right or is that excessive? What do you do with all that extra line while it is in the fridge ?

I started with the idea of a full keg of a particular flavour, but now switched to the concept of "mix your own". Have one keg with filtered water (use a hose connected to the output of the kitchen water filter to refill when I get down to the last gallon) and add sugar syrup and concentrate on a drink by drink basis. This allow dozens of flavours and even the adventurous ones to blend their own.

Every once in awhile we add syrup and concentrate to a dozen beer bottles, chill them and then cap them for our "signature pop". Everyone swears the pop tastes better after you have popped a cap and heard the fizz. (It is also easy to get the syrup to mix in the capped bottle, so you don't loses the bubbles stirring.)

Refilling the keg is a breeze. Just unplug both connectors and plug the filtered water hose (at house pressure) into the liquid post. The fill will stop when the pressure reaches house pressure (about 50 psi) in about 15 minutes. Just disconnect and wait overnight until the pressure is absorbed and connect back to the system at about 28 psi. Nothing to open, no co2 lost and just a thin pipe across the kitchen floor for 15 minutes.

We also have some cheap pink wine on tap so we have champagne 24/7. We can add a bit of soda water to make it a bit lighter for thirst quencher.

This has become the favourite appliance I the house!

Wish I could sell these!

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for the great advice from everyone above. I have a question about "longer lines". How much longer? I have seen some guys say they use 20 feet of line for their soda. Is that abut right or is that excessive? What do you do with all that extra line while it is in the fridge ?

Yes, at least 20' of line. I used 25', I believe, when I was serving root beer at 35 psi. It might have been 30', though. I just can't remember since my kids grew up and left home.

Latest posts

Back