soda in a soda keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbsj

Reaction score
man i love my kegerator. but my girlfriend thinks it is a horrible idea. i'll be moving in with her in a while and well, she barely outranks the kegerator. but she is a caffeine addict and loves diet pepsi. i asked her if we put a keg of pepsi in there if it would still be an issue. and well, it looks i'll be able to keep my beer on tap. so here's my question. what would i need to do to get pepsi in my kegs and to dispense it? i'm not going to buy a bunch of 3 liters and refill it once a week. i figured get several soda-only kegs and see if i can get them filled. anybody done this? do i need a different dispensing pressure than beer?

I have a double tap. I keep root beer for one, beer for the other.
I guess you could take and fill a corney with 2 liter Pepsi's, then pressure up to 20 psi+ for a day to re-carbonate.

Find a restaurant/bar near you that will put a 5 gallon bag-in-box of syrup into their next order for you. Mix it your self in the soda keg, 1 part syrup to 5 parts water (I think). Mix, carb and serve. You may want the special bag-in-box connector to get a sanitary closure on the leftover syrup. But attacking it with a knife and using a sanitized bucket to keep the syrup in should work.

If she insists on Pepsi, the tough part is getting the syrup, as the distributors will not sell to individuals. Might be easier if you have a licensed business. You might try ordering the diet cola from the sodaclubusa, see if that's ok. You can mix it with bottled soda water for testing. I just keep a keg of soda water on tap @ 30 psi and add various flavors as the mood strikes. They even have a sampler of flavors in little bottles that make a liter each.

If she barely out ranks "your" kegerator, then she needs to get her own damn kegerator! Tell her your kegerator is only used for putting "man brew" in. Stand up and tell her there's a new sheriff in town and that you only make man decisions. If she doesn't like it, kick her out! :D

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but I believe that soda pop generally requires a much higher pressure and a much stronger carbonation than most beer.

That means you either will need a separate take for it or a dual regulator

Gedvondur

the_Roqk said:
If she barely out ranks "your" kegerator, then she needs to get her own damn kegerator! Tell her your kegerator is only used for putting "man brew" in. Stand up and tell her there's a new sheriff in town and that you only make man decisions. If she doesn't like it, kick her out! :D

SWMBO is still SWMBO. If all it takes is a keg of DP to make it all work, then a keg of DP is what she should get!

I've been looking into getting a soda set-up, but I think I'm going the post mix route. From what I read, there is a considerable taste difference between pre and post mix. Might want to try a small amount of pre before getting into it, you may not like it. The post-mix is what you get just about everywhere.

Here is some good reading material on the subject

the_Roqk said:
Been a bachelor long???

Stand firm, brewbuddy! Show her that you are the KING of your castle. Like this guy!

kramden.gif

Rhoobarb said:
Stand firm, brewbuddy! Show her that you are the KING of your castle. Like this guy!

well, here's what i'm bringing with me.

a dog
4 bicycles (to add to her 2)
rock climbing equipment
backpacking/mountaineering gear
fly fishing/tying gear
beer stuff
lots of tools
a lot of debt from school and buying and using said equipment

you can see where she might get frustrated with all my toys. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Been a bachelor long???

Hell yes! Most of my life, just happened to be married twice in that time. Personally I don't like to be told what I can and can't do with my money! Especially hard earned money.

Gedvondur said:
Forgive me if I am incorrect, but I believe that soda pop generally requires a much higher pressure and a much stronger carbonation than most beer.

That means you either will need a separate take for it or a dual regulator

Gedvondur

That's what I've seen too. I only finished my kegerator a couple of months ago, so haven't had beer and root beer on tap at the same time.
I think you would need a dual regulator.

This might be a good way to introduce her to homebrewing. Most homebrew supply sell those little soda flavoring bottles that are good for about 4 gallons of soda- you just add sugar, water, and yeast to carbonate. Of course, you could force carb and experiment with different artificial sweetners or combination of artificial sweetners to make the perfect diet cola to her liking, particularly since the new trend with diet sodas is to use a combination of artificial sweetners to minimize the aftertaste. I bet if you were to secretly use a very minimal amount of cane sugar to the artificials to conteract the aftertaste with some lingering sweetnes and make a very low calorie soda, she would swear that you made the best diet cola ever! I have made a lot of root beer the old fashioned way, and it is very simple compared to homebrewing, and it would be child's play if you force carbed.

newell456 said:
This might be a good way to introduce her to homebrewing. Most homebrew supply sell those little soda flavoring bottles that are good for about 4 gallons of soda- you just add sugar, water, and yeast to carbonate. Of course, you could force carb and experiment with different artificial sweetners or combination of artificial sweetners to make the perfect diet cola to her liking, particularly since the new trend with diet sodas is to use a combination of artificial sweetners to minimize the aftertaste. I bet if you were to secretly use a very minimal amount of cane sugar to the artificials to conteract the aftertaste with some lingering sweetnes and make a very low calorie soda, she would swear that you made the best diet cola ever! I have made a lot of root beer the old fashioned way, and it is very simple compared to homebrewing, and it would be child's play if you force carbed.

that's actually a reall y good idea. i'll keep that in mind. thanks

We have a soda system at work. Our administrative assistant goes out to Sam's club and a local restaurant supply joint once a week to buy syrup for the system.

Back