So I tested Amber Dyne from Hearts Home Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
I got some iodine test strips from AHS to test my iodophor solution (re-useability being my intent). Mixing at the recommended solution of 1/2 tsp/gal. and submerging the test strip for 60 seconds my solution was less than 12.5 PPM! When I quadrupled the solution to 1/2 tsp/qt it came out to be 25 PPM.

It appears that the strips are working correctly and hearts homebrew is printing the wrong instructions on their iodine sanitizer (not necessarily their fault). I'm thinking I'll be using this at double strength of 1 tsp/gal and switching to star san when I run out. I'll call Hearts to let them know too, though based on their track record I'm guessing nothing will be done about it.

Gave them a call and let them know. He did say that their solution is B-T-F iodophor (which would be nice to call it instead of Amber Dyne) and that for the most part the problem with iodophor is the over use of it (as far as concentrations go). I mentioned that for yeast cultures and the like you do want to be sure you are sanitizing as best as you can and that you normally can test for a range under 12.5 PPM which is the recommended amount. He said that it should work fine and mentioned that they've never had any complaints about it.

Like I said, knew they wouldn't do anything.

So I was investigating a funny aftertaste in my beers and hit this thread... I'm using Heart's Amberdyne as well. My bottle of Amberdyne (bought last summer) says 1/2 tsp/gallon. Their website now says 1 tsp/gal... so maybe things do change? :drunk:

I'll be upping my concentration, anyway.

:mug:

Back