So I caved in and bought a Thermapen Mk IV last week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They had open box units on sale.

HOLY CRAP IS IT NICE! (sorry to shout, but I am really stoked to brew with this thing). I have resisted due to price but decided I need a more reliable and fast thermometer. I tested it in an ice bath and the accuracy and speed were mind boggling. My usual thermometer works well and calibrates nicely in an ice bath, but it's 30 seconds to read my mash temp...for it to settle in on a temp. The thermapen was so fast I found it hard to believe.

I haven't brewed with it yet, but based on the performance I saw when checking calibration, I should have gotten one of these a long time ago.

I bought an original for barbecue so long ago I can't remember, if you cook you have to have one.
For me its brewing contribution is mostly as a reference standard for every dial and digital thermometer and the dozens of temperature sensors in the brewery...

Cheers!

Thermoworks has good products. I use a Dot to check mash temperature top to bottom and stir at the same time.
resized892.jpg

I really like my MK4, but as of lately it hasn't wanted to turn on automatically for me. It takes a few opening and closing to get it to finally pop on. I have babied that thing...anyone else have this issue?

My Thermopen has been going to 400 degrees+ by just opening it, and giving an error message. I have not tried replacing the batteries yet.

My classic has the same problem. I've been wondering if taking it apart and cleaning out the contacts at the hinge would help.

I've thought about doing this too, but then I remembered what I spent on the thing and I don't have the kahunas to take it apart...if you do, make a thread about it plz.

EDIT: regardless of the minor issue, I still love my MK4, just annoying....

I'd contact Thermoworks, odds are they'll fix things right up.
The one thing my Classic lacks vs the MK4 that I'd love to have is the automagically inverting display.
I swear the Classic and Splash-Proof predecessors were designed by lefties ;)

Cheers!

I have a few of the other models from the brand - the 600c. I use one for brewing, one for BBQ / smoking and one for general cooking. It may not be as ffast as the thermopen, but it's as accurate and fast enough for my uses. I absolutely recommend a GOOD thermometer for anyone.

I upgraded months ago from an RTC6000 to the Mark IV and the only thing I've regretted is not having done it sooner!

I'm looking for an excuse to replace my Thermopen classic with the Thermopen mk4, but the classic still works so I can't do it right now. I did just get the SMOKE from Thermoworks for cooking and monitoring mash temps. Added the long 12" probe and the sous vide probe to it and it's a pretty sweet setup.

Just got an email about Thermopops on sale today for $20 (normally $28), so I'm looking for a good reason to grab one of those. Certainly good for someone not wanting to spend the $$ on a Thermopen.

I'm looking for an excuse to replace my Thermopen classic with the Thermopen mk4, but the classic still works so I can't do it right now. I did just get the SMOKE from Thermoworks for cooking and monitoring mash temps. Added the long 12" probe and the sous vide probe to it and it's a pretty sweet setup.

Just got an email about Thermopops on sale today for $20 (normally $28), so I'm looking for a good reason to grab one of those. Certainly good for someone not wanting to spend the $$ on a Thermopen.

I love my classic and it just keeps going. I bought the thermopop for my dad and father-in-law and they are pretty sweet. I would actually recommend them for most people if they don’t cook a lot.

Back