• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

So.... how do you chill?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Yesfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to believe that was a joke, because how is immersing a PLATE CHILLER going to actually do anything beneficial to the inner passages - and given the two outer passages carry cooling water?

Cheers!
I have a dial thermometer installed on the wort out of mine. I was asking more about that than the chiller itself, but I guess I could just take that off since I'd be using the plate chiller as a pre-chiller.....so, wasn't really a joke when I posted it but I do feel a bit stupid looking back at it now.

IBRUTOO

Reaction score
No problemo you can try it to see how much it speeds up cooling and if it doesn't help you, you can always put the dial thermometer back on and not put on ice.

3 Dawg Night

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed my first five gallon batch, after moving up from one gallon batches. An ice bath in the kitchen sink works great for one gallon; boiling to ~70 in about 20 minutes. My five-gallon batch . . . not so much. My wort took 90+ minutes to cool yesterday. I'll be brewing again in about a month, and I'll DEFINITELY have an immersion chiller before then.

I'll also have a propane burner, because SWMBO didn't appreciate me taking over her kitchen for the afternoon.

Yesfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed my first five gallon batch, after moving up from one gallon batches. An ice bath in the kitchen sink works great for one gallon; boiling to ~70 in about 20 minutes. My five-gallon batch . . . not so much. My wort took 90+ minutes to cool yesterday. I'll be brewing again in about a month, and I'll DEFINITELY have an immersion chiller before then.

I'll also have a propane burner, because SWMBO didn't appreciate me taking over her kitchen for the afternoon.

If I didn't already have an immersion chiller, I'd probably look at the Jaded Hyda. Burners? Blichmann for sure. I love mine.

tibo

Reaction score
I brew about 3 years and I try to chill down the worth once with a 1/4 inch coil but I can't be bothered with the process. I use 15 gallon beer kegs to ferment, pour the worth into the keg right off the flame. I converted the bread maker bread pan into a funnel, I secure it down with 3 wire, its fits perfectly. I assume the really hot water would kill out any unwanted bacteria or organism in the keg- although i sanitize it as much as I can, prior. I pitch the yeast starter in very high temperature, for instance the Kevik yeast I pitch in around 107F, seison 93, pilsner yeast on the 80sF. For some beer as Seison I keep the brew warm by putting a little neck warmer around it and wrap it up with this silver duckt insalation. This way the fermentation kicks in about 3-4 hours and keeps up a tense phase in a first 2-3 days. Back in a days I had problem starting the fermentation when I let the worth chill down to 60sF to pitch the yeast. I don't know how different my beer would taste with quick chilling, but I don't have any issues with any infection or off taste of the beer, if the chilling method is there to prevent infection.

Elric

Reaction score
I have been sink chilling. Worked ok first couple batches but then covid and less trips to store and I had to move from ice water baths to just water and cold packs and it was taking forever (between 1-3 gallon batches). Bought a mini immersion chiller rated for 1-5 gallons, and on first run it chilled my 1 gallon batch down to the 60s in about ten minutes today. Really glad I bought it.