SMS vs PMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackrock612

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new to mead making and am getting a few ingredients together for my first batch. Very exciting. I’m confused upon realizing that both SMS and PMS are labeled as “campen tablets.” Does it make any difference which I get? I feel like one is probably “better” in some way to use for mead making? I’m following Piatz’s recommendation to not boil and add the tablet to filtered tap water in my primary fermenter prior to pitching. Thanks very much!

Hi there,
The first S in SMS stands for sodium, whereas the P stands for Potassium. You many not want to add sodium to your mead. As Yooper once said, it's easier to add than to take away an ingredient. I find potassium adds fullness to the mouthfeel of the mead. It makes for a richer tasting drink.

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m glad you mentioned your preference. I bought the potassium ones so I feel good about that now. I’ll avoid the sodium ones in the future! Thanks again.

Keep us posted as to your progress. We celebrate successes and commiserate when things don't go as well as we hoped.

Well I did it. Time will tell how it works out. I made a post about it if you have any suggestions. Thanks again.

well, at least it was close. it is about "honey"...but you gotta admit that was a click bait title! i wanted to find out what SMS vs PMS was! ;)

i would ask, does metabisulphite, bond with clorine? form nacl, kcl? or does it gas it off? that would be a factor because actually most people like the taste of sodium chloride, but not so much pottasium chloride....why "lite salt" is only 50/50 mix....

what does SMS and PMS stand for? I tried googling it to save you having to spell it out but didn't find it.

Back