Smooth Oatmeal Stout Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
I am desiring to make a malty/rich/thick/smooth oatmeal stout without much of a bite from hops nor malt. It's a 4.5 gallon batch using a blend of wlp 007 and 001. I'm shooting for about 1.060.

The recipe is something like this:
5 lb. 2 row
1.5 toasted oats (w/rice hulls)
12 oz. midnight wheat
8 oz. crystal 80
4 oz chocolate malt
4 oz carafa II
3 oz buscuit
3 oz victory
3 oz munich 10L

1.35 east kent at 60 minutes
I plan to steep the midnight wheat, choc. malt, and carafa--then add it to the boil
HERE IS MY QUESTION:
With the above recipe am I going to miss the "stout taste" overall due to using midnight wheat and very little carafa and chocolate malt? I don't want it to taste like a brown or porter, but a smooth stout.

Any help would be much appreciated!

You've got a lot going on there. Maybe simplify the grain bill and use a more generous helping of pale chocolate to get your color and slight roastiness. I imagine that would keep it smooth.

My RIS is cold crashing, I used something like 7.5% Special B, 7.5% pale chocolate, 5% roasted barley, and 5% flaked oats with the 75% being plain old 2-row. It turned out pretty damn smooth, too smooth really, and that is at 13% ABV! I imagine on a lighter stout you could even up the roast a bit and come out fine.

I'd simplify it a bit. At the request of a friend, I tried to make a Sam Smiths oatmeal stout inspired beer. He couldn;t have been happier with the results, I only got a 6pack for myself....

7.5 2row
1 oats
1 toasted oats
0.5 crystal 40
0.5 chocolate
0.5 pale chocolate
0.25 roasted barley
0.25 carafa III

I think you dont need the midnight wheat. YOu wont have too much acrid flavors from using stuff like chocolate and carafa. IMO its black malt and an abundance of roasted barley that cause that. I really like the smooth flavor of pale chocolate, but it doesnt have as much color to contribute, so I added some carafaIII.

My Oatmeal Stout - I think it is a great beer:

6.0 lbs 2-Row
1.0 lbs Crystal 120
1.0 lbs Chocolate
0.3 lbs Roasted Barley
1.0 lbs Rolled Oats
0.7 lbs light brown sugar

Back