SMaSH recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-crowing

Reaction score
Just brewing something simple next week. Wanting to do a lower ABV pale ale that showcases Galaxy hops.

Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Boil Size: 6.58 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 9.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9 lbs US 2-Row 90%
1 lbs Crystal 75L 10%

.5oz Galaxy (14% alpha) 60min
.5oz Galaxy (14% alpha) 15min
.5oz Galaxy (14% alpha) 5min
1oz Galaxy (14% alpha) 0min

2oz Galaxy (14% alpha) Dry Hop 7 days
Yeast: 1 vial WLP002 (starter)

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. Thanks!

That looks like a decent recipe to me, although not technically a smash since it has 2 types of grain.

You may want to swap the 75l crystal for 60l. 60l would probably be a little less burnt tasting and more like a caramel kind of sweetness. Either way, I don't think it's too big of a deal.

That looks like a decent recipe to me, although not technically a smash since it has 2 types of grain.

You may want to swap the 75l crystal for 60l. 60l would probably be a little less burnt tasting and more like a caramel kind of sweetness. Either way, I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Derp, I meant to take that out before posting. My recipe in BeerSmith has 10 lbs 2 row only.
OG: 1.048
IBU: 41.2
Color: 3.5 SRM

I might just leave the crystal in though. I currently have 2 lbs Crystal 75L and 0.5 lbs Crystal 60L. With 9lbs 2 row and .5lb Crystal 60L I have
OG: 1.045
IBU: 42
Color: 6.3

Please make sure to post back and let us k ow how this turns out. I'm planning a SMaSH barleywine with galaxy hops and I would love to hear what you end up getting from these and how you like them.
I do have to say I've already bought them so ill be using them regardless. The only thing I have to decide is what grain to use.

Please make sure to post back and let us k ow how this turns out. I'm planning a SMaSH barleywine with galaxy hops and I would love to hear what you end up getting from these and how you like them.
I do have to say I've already bought them so ill be using them regardless. The only thing I have to decide is what grain to use.

Will do. I should be brewing this in the next few days.

Back