SMASH(ish) PA: Exp 4190

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
I bought a 4oz pack of the experimental hop currently known as exp4190. Couldnt find anywhere to throw it in a batch so I decided to do a sort-of SMASH with it. Two primary goals here: 1) build a yeast cake of Conan for a Heady Topper clone; 2) give this new hop varietal an honest whirl.

A little commercial info on the variety, in case you're interested:
SS Steiner EXP 4190
Current AA__3.6%
Beta 5-6.5%
CoH 30-32%
Total Oil 1 - 1.5 Ml/100g
Experimental variety from Hop Steiner. Pleasant, mild citrus aroma. Bred from Fuggles and Cascade

Its only quasi-SMASH, as I am primarily using Thomas Fawcett Pearl, but made the grain bill similar to the current HT clone with a few additions.

5 gallon batch

9lbs (92.3%) Pearl
6oz (3.8%) flaked wheat
4oz (2.6%) carapils
2oz (1.3%) acidulated malt (pH control)

The hop schedule is also similar to the HT clone, but strictly exp 4190.

1oz Exp 4190 90mins
1oz exp 4190 5mins
1oz exp 4190 hopstand @165F for 20mins (went down to 153F for me)
1oz exp 4190 dry hop 6 days

And the yeast is Conan, cultured from a can's dregs and built up to ~125B cells (a little underpitched, technically requiring more like 199B cells)

Mash at 150F for 60mins. pH 5.2
Water treatment was designed for a pale, hoppy brew.
Primary fermentation: only 10 days, but at a higher temp that I meant: 69F (I would have rather operated in Conan's idea temperature range, in the lower 60s)
I racked to secondary for a 6day dry hop, only because I wanted a cleaner yeast cake for harvesting for another batch.
16 days total fermentation. Bottled for 2.5 vols CO2

Expected OG 1.054
Actual OG 1.057
Expected FG 1.013
Actual FG 1.015
Expected ABV 5.3%
Actual ABV 5.6%
IBUs: 24
SRM: 4

I clearly dont expect it to be super bitter, as its a low AA varietal, and not many IBUs are in this recipe. I really wanted to see the aroma and flavor qualities of the varietal, so I focused on late additions that would provide me that.

Bottled yesterday (7/2/14), so I will post a more formal review in a week or two. The sample I pulled definitely wasn't a strong hop presence, and most of what I sensed was floral, orange-y citrus with a light amount of grass. Initially exactly as described: a cross of fuggle and cascade.

Oh this came out quite nice! I carbed just slightly higher than I usually do for the style, and I think that adds to the perceived bitterness. Its light, crisp, just a pinch of butter up front, but its mostly prickly. The high sulfate likely also has a part to play there. Aroma is a pale ale malt with a little orange. Like an orange creamsicle, not really citrus-y. Taste is similar: up front malt flavor that worksreally really nicely is a more mellow pale ale, along with an orange flavor. A tiny bit grassy, maybe a touch of spiciness. Overall very light clean and enjoyable. I would like a lot more punch coming out of 4 ounces of hops, but this isn't an in your face varietal. I would love to try bittering with some centennial and mixing cent and maybe bramling cross in aroma/flavor hopping.

Here it is in its glory. I'd call it a hazy straw color with orange tinting, crisp white froth, mild aroma channeling orange-y citrus with grass behind a very available light maltiness, nicely effervescent and medium-light body. Very quaffable.
I dont mind the beer, and its overall taste is nice, but I dont think I would brew it the same way. If I wanted to showcase this particular hop again, I'd double all additions. Its just such a soft and mellow hop. With that being said, I think it would work well anywhere a mild english varietal would, with the addition of a soft orange flavor. I'd imagine it'd work all over the place, from a saison to a mild to a barleywine to a stout. Just nothing with aggressive hop flavor.

The recipe will also stand to be something of a template for my future use. I already brewed another recipe, only adding another pound of pearl, but replacing the hops with gobs and gobs of calypso and amarillo.

1406163022788.jpg

Thanks for your notes. Seems like a good hop to use for maybe a nice pale ale or even in conjunction with Amarillo.

Back