Small Hop Cones.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cefmel

Reaction score
I have Mt. Hood growing in the backyard on a trellis system and I've noticed that some of the hop cones never get bigger than a marble size before they begin to dry up and turn brown, while other cones become nice and plump. With the hop shortage and all, I really want to try for a good harvest this year.

Should I bother harvesting the little ones?

I hear that the pros cut back all the new growth for the first month and then only allow three shoots per crown to develop afterwards. I'm going to try it this year along with some fertilizer(composted manure).

Has anyone tried this?

I would harvest them no matter how small they are, but stunted usually = lack of water.

A good organic fertilizer, good drainage and lots of water should help that.

I think I have good drainage. The mound is raised and on a bed of lava rock about three feet below.

Aside from the composted manure in the spring, should I fertilize more?

Give them some nitrogen when the side arms start growing and water daily, if it isn't raining.

Well, I know that composted manure has nitrogen in it, so maybe some more of that in June when the side arms start to grow. I've heard that it's better than using chemical fertilizer or at least safer for someone like me who doesn't know exactly what they're doing when it comes to farming. I might add too much nitrogen and kill everything.

Back