Small CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
Friends,

I am setting up a small keg system for my small batches and I'm looking for a smaller CO2 tank for this system. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a 2.5 or 1 pound tank?

Thanks!

I don't keg, but someone recently mentioned to me about using paintball tanks, which are 20oz or 24oz. Search for "paintball" in the forums and you should get a lot of hits.

You can use a paintball tank with an adapter. Mancan also has some that use c02 cartridges. I would get one of the smaller paintball cans and one if the cannon ball kegs or one of the Chinese mancan cans from eBay.

Dick's sporting goods sells 20oz paintball cylinders and refills them rather cheaply. The first fill is free. You do need an adapter and a regulator.

So you guys are saying I can carb my beer and serve via a paintball tank?

Is this adapter something I could get from Norther Brewer?

Thanks!

So you guys are saying I can carb my beer and serve via a paintball tank?

Is this adapter something I could get from Norther Brewer?

Thanks!

Yes, that's what we're saying. I didn't see such equipment from Norther Brewer, but Adventures in Homebrewing offers it:

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapter-CO2-regulator-to-Paintball-Tank-Adapter_p_1122.html

That, a CO2 tank, and a CO2 regulator (all convenient add-ons from that same link) would be all you'd need. Well, also a keg and gas line. :) There's been quite a few threads in the forums about it, I really recommend you check them out for more info.

I don't keg, and was considering doing so but changed my mind for now. But if I did, I would absolutely get this kind of system and a 2.5 gallon keg since my largest batches are 2 gallons.

Thanks! I'm thinking I'm going to go the paintball tank route with an adapter. I just can't seem to find the right adapter!

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PAINTBALL-TANK-MINI-REGULATOR-P3933.aspx

Edit:

You can buy the homebrewing.org one that @avrlander posted, but make sure you get a regulator as well. You either need a paintball regulator (like I posted) or the adapter, plus a regulator (like @avrlander posted). It looks like both options are $65 total, but shop around, you might be able to find one a little cheaper.

Yes, that's what we're saying. I didn't see such equipment from Norther Brewer, but Adventures in Homebrewing offers it:

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapter-CO2-regulator-to-Paintball-Tank-Adapter_p_1122.html

That, a CO2 tank, and a CO2 regulator (all convenient add-ons from that same link) would be all you'd need. Well, also a keg and gas line. :) There's been quite a few threads in the forums about it, I really recommend you check them out for more info.

I don't keg, and was considering doing so but changed my mind for now. But if I did, I would absolutely get this kind of system and a 2.5 gallon keg since my largest batches are 2 gallons.

PERFECT! Thanks! I do plan on reading up on all this but for now this is what I am thinking. I am a small batch brewer to this keg system is perfect:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/draft-brewer-mini-keg-system#reviews

So that system plus a 20oz paintball tank and the adapter from Adventures and I think I'm set!

PERFECT! Thanks! I do plan on reading up on all this but for now this is what I am thinking. I am a small batch brewer to this keg system is perfect:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/draft-brewer-mini-keg-system#reviews

So that system plus a 20oz paintball tank and the adapter from Adventures and I think I'm set!

Please post back with how it goes for you! I was eyeing MoreBeer's Torpedo keg, but then you need to buy the dispenser and regulator, too (and the one JoshuaW posted is pretty sweet, since it's so compact). But then I realized I didn't quite hate bottling as much as I thought I did, so I'm holding off for a bit.

I regularly use a 20oz paintball tank with the AIH adapter and a fullsize regulator. Tanks go as small as 3.5oz and up to 24oz. If you buy a new tank, I'd spend the extra couple bucks for an on/off valve. Paintball shops refill for a few bucks, or the fittings to refill from a 20lb+ tank are about $35 on eBay.

I regularly use a 20oz paintball tank with the AIH adapter and a fullsize regulator. Tanks go as small as 3.5oz and up to 24oz. If you buy a new tank, I'd spend the extra couple bucks for an on/off valve. Paintball shops refill for a few bucks, or the fittings to refill from a 20lb+ tank are about $35 on eBay.

Do you think those 20/24oz tanks have enough gas in them to carb AND dispense?

I played/worked at a paintball field for years when I was a kid. I've been away from that world for a LONG time. I can't believe I'm actually talking about it again! Ha!

The general rule around here is that you should get 1-2 x 5 gallon kegs (carbing and dispensing) per pound of CO2. This depends on your carb level, temperature, how thoroughly you purge, etc. So a 20 oz should get you close to 2 kegs.

The general rule around here is that you should get 1-2 x 5 gallon kegs (carbing and dispensing) per pound of CO2. This depends on your carb level, temperature, how thoroughly you purge, etc. So a 20 oz should get you close to 2 kegs.

The other advantage is that the paintball tanks are much easier to get filled, usually like $5 at a sporting goods store versus $20 at a specialty welding shop. And they're cheap enough to get multiple ones should you fear running out.

Couldn't post from app, but I agree with zachattack. I don't normally carb from 0psi with my paintball tanks, but some short math looks like a 20oz should do 1 easily, two starts cutting it close. I found a 5lb tank that fits in my fridge for carbing, then I can take a small tank with for dispensing.

FINALLY got around to brewing this past weekend. That means it's time to purchase a tank! I think I'm going to err on the safe side and find a 24oz tank. I know they used to make them when I played paintball. I hope they still do! Time to start shopping!

Anyone have experience with a mini regulator like this one?

It is supposed to attach directly to the thread on a ball lock disconnect be used with the 16 gram co2 cartridges but those don't seem like they'd dispense much and not be worth the cost. I'm thinking I'd adapt it to use a paintball co2 tank for a decent portable solution if the regulator works ok.

Anyone have experience with a mini regulator like this one?

It is supposed to attach directly to the thread on a ball lock disconnect be used with the 16 gram co2 cartridges but those don't seem like they'd dispense much and not be worth the cost. I'm thinking I'd adapt it to use a paintball co2 tank for a decent portable solution if the regulator works ok.

That actually looks pretty kick ass. But I can't tell whether it's to screw on a paintball tank or a standard threaded CO2 cart, and I can't tell whether it threads right on a standard MFL ball lock connector or what. I like that price, though! Definitely more elegant a solution than the co2 injector things that are just a glorified bike tire pump.

That actually looks pretty kick ass. But I can't tell whether it's to screw on a paintball tank or a standard threaded CO2 cart, and I can't tell whether it threads right on a standard MFL ball lock connector or what. I like that price, though! Definitely more elegant a solution than the co2 injector things that are just a glorified bike tire pump.

It's made for a standard co2 cartridge and mfl disconnect. Here's another vendor showing them connected. Assuming the regulator is at least semi-accurate, it should work well. It should be pretty simple to convert it to use a paintball tank with remote line. I tossed it into an order I had going so I'll see how it works out when I get to making my portable system this spring.

I've been watching this on Ebay and today it went down in price. 40 bucks for a metal carbonator cap, a regulator, hose, and connectors, AND a co2 cart for 40 bucks shipped seemed like a steal to me so I swiped it up. Just figured I'd pass it along to anybody else who was looking into one. I will probably make up an adapter to go from my full sized CO2 tank to this thing so I can use it as a secondary regulator in my kegerator as well. Plus of course I can use it to mobile party with kegs on the road :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191829890559?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Back