Small Bottles for High Gravity Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeL

Reaction score
I looked on the forum and many people recommend using Malta bottles for high gravity beer. I checked a local store that carries about 7-8 different brands of Malta and each one had twist off caps. Does anyone know a better solution or am I stuck with 12oz bottles of Barley Wine?

8 and 10oz Coca Cola bottles work great.
its takes star san a long time (even at double concentration)to soften the paint so you can scrub it off.
Coke and 7-up seem to be trying to out nostalgia each other so I've seen a lot of cappable glass :)

If you go with the 8 oz coke bottles and have the time, a razor will take off the screen printed labels. It only took me about 2-3 minutes per bottle to take care of and the presentation was work it.

The small coke bottles are clear though. I would rather have amber color. I'm very surprised that no home brew sites sell bottles smaller than 12oz.

they are clear, but for a Barley Wine or stout they are fine.

It's not a fizzy yellow hoppy beer that sits in a ice tub in the sun all day at a BBQ.

check out some home brew shops, my local carries them, the same size as the champagne flights? (can't remember what they're called) 187ml or so, and look just like tiny beer bottles lol.
Monster energy also has tiny bottles as well that are pop top.

Thanks for the 187ml idea. Looks like those bottles are pretty easy to find.

For anyone looking for the 187ml bottles, I was able to order then from a local wine making supply company. They don't stock them normally but he was able to get me a case of the green ones for around $20. I still don't understand why nobody sells small brown bottles.

I bought 2 cases of cornita (7oz corona) was a pain to get the screen printing off but worked great for limoncello we did for wedding favors

I bought 2 cases of cornita (7oz corona) was a pain to get the screen printing off but worked great for limoncello we did for wedding favors

If I want small bottles in the future I might go ahead and use these even though they're clear. I was able to get my local wine supply store owner to order me some green ones but he said that it was the last case his supplier had and he doesn't think they'll be stocking them anymore.

7oz%20Bottles.jpg

I know this is an old post but I was searching for small bottles and came across this post. I found today Coors Light ponies (7oz) that are brown glass. They are screw tops but they have the neck-ring that works with the bottle capper. From what I have read if the bottle has the neck-ring it should cap fine. Another option is Fentimans Shandy and Root beer come in brown 9oz bottles. I have found Fentimans at Whole Foods, Central Market and World Market. Again it is a screw cap but works with my bottle capper. Last night, I took an empty Fentimans bottle and filled it with Dr. Pepper. Capped it and shook it up without any leaks. Not sure how scientific this was but i plan to use them when I bottle this week.

Latest posts

Back