Small Beer brewed from unmalted barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I ran across this article on line a few minutes ago....... I'd never dreamed such a thing was possible.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2011/11/small-beer-brewed-from-unmalted-barley.html

That said, I was contemplating an experiment of toasting and crushing raw barley, and doing a "sour mash", for perhaps 24 hours. The mashing was intended to gelatinize the starch and bring it into solution. The plan was to reheat the mash after it had soured, and hold it at mash temp for an extended period of time, then draw off the starch rich wort, some of which hopefully would have converted due to the acids developed in the sour mash process, do and do a boil. It would then go into the fermenter, along with a generous dosage of AG300, and a pitch of Belle Saison yeast. A brett yeast might be better. AG300 is a fungal amylase that will convert starch during the ferment.
There would be absolutely no way to do a valid OG or FG test of course

I have no end of crazy experiments I'd like to try..... ;-)

Below are quotes from two sources:

H.W.

The stomach also contains acid, which can also break down starch. The breakdown of starch can be carried out in the laboratory using acid or amylase. Enzymes such as amylase act as biological catalysts in the breakdown of complex food molecules into smaller ones in the digestive system.

'The writer of this article,' says Dr. Thomson, in the supplement to the Encyclopaedia Britannica, 'has several times tried the experiment of making ale from unmalted barley, and found it perfectly practicable. Several precautions, however, are necessary in order to succeed. The water let upon the ground barley in the mash-tun must be considerably below the boiling temperature. For barley meal is much more apt to set than malt, that is, to form a stiff paste, from which no wort will separate. The addition of a portion of the chaff of oats serves very much to prevent this setting of the goods, and facilitates considerably the separation of the wort. Care must likewise be taken to prevent the heat from escaping during the mashing, and the mashing must be continued longer than usual. For it is during the mashing that the starch of the barley is converted into a saccharine matter. This change seems to be owing merely to the chemical combination of a portion of water with the starch of the barley; just as happens when common starch is converted into sugar, by boiling it with very dilute sulphuric acid, or any other acid. This method of brewing from raw grain answers admirably for small beer. In our trials, he adds, the raw barley did not answer so well for making strong ale as for small beer. The ale was perfectly transparent, and we kept it for several years without its running into acidity. But it had a peculiar flavor by no means agreeable. Probably a little practice might have enabled us to get rid of this flavor, in which case, raw grain would answer, in every respect, as well for brewing as malt does.' He further states, that some years ago it was used to a considerable extent by several brewers of small beer in Edinburgh, and their beer was considered as greatly preferable to small beer brewed in the usual manner. But the practice was stopped by a decision of the Court of Exchequer.
"The London encyclopaedia, vol. IV Benedict to Cadiz" edited by Thomas Curtis, 1839, pages 523 - 524.

yes unmalted barley can be used to get the sugars for beer

but I know of no commercial brewery doing so and that is for a reason

the process is very expensive and time consuming, and using malted barley the process is simple and does not require much time

If there was a cost cutting alternative, they would have started using it by now.

I know of guys who make a certain product out of corn that do get all their conversion by amylase, they do a 12 hour mash at 126 degrees F

best thing about home brewing is that you can experiment any way you like, you have no pressure to make a profit

yes unmalted barley can be used to get the sugars for beer

but I know of no commercial brewery doing so and that is for a reason

the process is very expensive and time consuming, and using malted barley the process is simple and does not require much time

If there was a cost cutting alternative, they would have started using it by now.

I know of guys who make a certain product out of corn that do get all their conversion by amylase, they do a 12 hour mash at 126 degrees F

best thing about home brewing is that you can experiment any way you like, you have no pressure to make a profit

I'm not doing this with as a cost saving measure. I'm interested in what kind of results I can achieve. This is a pure experiment. I am currently in the process of oven kilning my barley to give it a toasty flavor. Tomorrow morning I'll crush it and mash it to release the starch into the wort, and innoculate the mash so it can sour. Sunday morning, I'll do my boil & chill, and pitch my yeast, and my AG300. I'll ferment warm using Belle Saison, and see what happens. It will be a single hop brew with Perle hops, which is similar to Northern Brewer, and should make a nice saison. My first brew with this hop.
I've always pushed the limits and challenged the common wisdom, and done things people said would not work......... and sometimes they don't ;-(

H.W.

I'm not doing this with as a cost saving measure. I'm interested in what kind of results I can achieve. This is a pure experiment. I am currently in the process of oven kilning my barley to give it a toasty flavor. Tomorrow morning I'll crush it and mash it to release the starch into the wort, and innoculate the mash so it can sour. Sunday morning, I'll do my boil & chill, and pitch my yeast, and my AG300. I'll ferment warm using Belle Saison, and see what happens. It will be a single hop brew with Perle hops, which is similar to Northern Brewer, and should make a nice saison. My first brew with this hop.
I've always pushed the limits and challenged the common wisdom, and done things people said would not work......... and sometimes they don't ;-(

H.W.

this is homebrew
you are not answering to anyone who wants to make money
experiment in any way you want
post the results here
it is all good

I began my unmalted grain experiment Friday with washing and kilning, to a nice brown color..... Darker than I had intended.

Saturday I crushed and mashed at 152 for 90 minutes with about 20 drops of AG300, then reduced the temp down to 80F, and innoculated with a handfull of malted barley for lacto souring of the mash. I then floated saran wrap on the surface to exclude oxygen and prevent aceto fermention. The idea was that the acid should contribute to conversion. A seed mat and thermostat maintained the temp for 24 hours.

Today I opened things up and separated the grain. I had a gravity of 1.025. Brewer's Friend called for 1.046 with flaked barley, I assume because they anticipated that it would be mashed with something with diastatic power.

I was pretty pleased with the OG, and I started heating the wort with intent to boil, and the OG started going up........... 5 points. I stopped at 145 because of this, and transferred the wort to my sous vide kettle, and have decided to mash with sous vide (wort only) for 24 hours at 145 initially, then stepping it up gradually tomorrow morning to squeeze as much conversion as I can out of it. I'm in no hurry at all. This brewing project is taking days, but my actual time invested is quite small.

This is a perfect application for sous vide!!

The wort has a lovely mild lacto tang, and I've decided to keep the IBUs down to about 10 in hopes of not overpowering the tang. I'll hop with Perle very late in the boil, and ferment with Belle Saison. I may decide to add some sugar to "bump" the ABV up depending on the OG tomorrow before the boil. Right now it looks like I'll be about 3% ABV, based on projected post boil OG.

The game plan keeps getting changed, but that's OK.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back