Small Batch Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matteo.hoover

Reaction score
I’ve beeen home brewing for 2.5 years now. At first, I focused on extract kits, but have moved to all-grain brewing. Specifically, I use small batches to tinker with recipes and produce more beer! I love sharing my beer with family and friends. I’ve gotten great feedback on most of my beers and as any brewer, I have had ups and downs. It’s a hobby I am passionate about and I always anticipate my next brew. I am not into all the science or technical terms of brewing, but I love to learn about it.

What size batches are your "small batches"?

I brewed 5-gallon batches for many years, but these days I brew a lot of 2.5 gallon batches (BIAB on my stove). I occasionally fit in 1-gallon all-grain batches (mostly to try out base grains) and 3/4 gallon extract batches (mostly to try out hops). I also often split a batch into 2 or more fermenters to play with different yeasts.

A thread with lots of stories about small batch brewing:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/1-gallon-brewers-unite.311884/
If you are new to reading threads here on HBT, you will likely find there are some gems with thousands of posts dating back for a decade or more.

So you're not into the technical stuff, not yet. Welcome to the madness we call a hobby. You will and don't worry we all started somewhere.

Welcome! Another 2.5 and 1 gallon brewer here. Like you I started with extract and then switched to all grain (blab). I enjoy the sharing and learning part too, and have been slowly adding to my knowledge of some of the technical aspects. Part of the fun of it to me.

I am not into all the science or technical terms of brewing
...yet

I also first did it as a "throw it together and see what happens" thing, but quickly realized that the biological and chemical aspects of brewing is not only interesting as hell, but knowing a bit about it and working towards doing it "right" makes for waaaaay better beer.

Back