Slow Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robizzle01

Reaction score
I just got my 3 keg system, filled my co2 tank, hooked everything up, went to dispense my beer and ... weak stream :(

My dual gauge regulator shows 800psi in the tank with 10psi set on the output. I verified that the keg's IN and OUT fittings are correctly installed and have tried to dispense beer from two different kegs without much success. The beer flows very slowly out of my picnic tap.

Every time I lift the gas relief valve on either keg, I can hear and feel a gust of co2 at first, then it comes out more slowly until I leave it closed for a second. I have also put my ear against all the fittings and don't hear any leaks anywhere.

I was also a little surprised how difficult it was to install the quick disconnect (both the gas and beer out lines.) I needed to pound them on with the handle of a wrench.

Any ideas what may be going wrong? Need more information, just let me know!

I was also a little surprised how difficult it was to install the quick disconnect (both the gas and beer out lines.) I needed to pound them on with the handle of a wrench.

You need to get some food-grade lubricant. QD's should slide on VERY easily - You're lifting the "collar" on the QD when sliding it onto the poppit, correct?

If you don't have keg lubricant in the house, you can use mineral oil in a pinch. You should put some lubricant on all O-Rings every time you change a keg. Here's a link - I use "Petro Gel Lubricant"

Search Results

My guess that the flow is slow b/c the QD's aren't installed property. Are they leaking at all at the keg?

EDIT - Do you have the Gas QD on the "In" poppit and the beer QD on the "Out" poppit? The keg should have "In" and "Out" written just below the poppit. If not, the "Out" is the one with the dip tube extending to the bottom of the keg.

EDIT 2 - Just noticed that this is your first post. WELCOME!!

Also make sure that the valve is open on the regulator if you have one there. I made that mistake after days of frustration of slow pours.

Did you tear your kegs down and inspect them when you got them? You really need to check all your o-rings and the poppets. If everything looks OK, put it all back together, hit the keg with 30psi to seal it, and check for leaks. If you detect no leaks, put some water in the keg, attach a tap and test the pour.

You need to do that BEFORE filling the keg. It is much easier to replace a leaking o-ring when you are not worried about contaminating your beer.

I know, it's a little late now, but it's something to remember in the future.

Also make sure that the valve is open on the regulator if you have one there. I made that mistake after days of frustration of slow pours.

Good point. Make sure the CO2 canister valve is open all the way, then adjust pressure at the regulator down to serving pressure (8-12 psi). Since you have shorter beer lines, you probably want to go for about 8 psi to prevent too much foam.

My first time out with my kegs I clogged my keg with hops. I think I may have been dry hopping in keg but I am not sure.

I guess the main there here is what is slow. What are you comparing your pour to?

I guess the main there here is what is slow. What are you comparing your pour to?

It is slow as in, probably would take about 60 seconds to fill a 12 oz glass.

My newbian guess would be that the poppets are screwed up.

You need to get some food-grade lubricant. QD's should slide on VERY easily - You're lifting the "collar" on the QD when sliding it onto the poppit, correct?

Good suggestions. I will definitely check out the poppets and pick up some food grade lubricant to see if that does the trick. I don't remember anything I would think of as a "collar" on the QD ... I'll have to investigate when I get home.

EDIT - Do you have the Gas QD on the "In" poppit and the beer QD on the "Out" poppit? The keg should have "In" and "Out" written just below the poppit. If not, the "Out" is the one with the dip tube extending to the bottom of the keg.

I did verify that the IN and OUT are correct. IN is for CO2 and has a star shaped bottom with notches. OUT is for beer and doesn't have any notches and uses a standard looking hex nut to tighten on.) They are also in their correct location on the keg, where IN and OUT are stamped into the rubber and/or metal.

Edit: And thanks for the warm welcome. I had hoped to make my first post pictures of the new kegerator, but ran into these problems :(

Make sure the liquid out dip tube isn't turned so that the bottom of the tube is not jammed against the bottom of the keg. I know theres a little indentation in the top of the dip tube, but I have a couple that are loose enough to turn almost 180°. Check them when you assesble the keg.

Also, is the fridge too cold? I had a keg go slow. I thought it was the dip tube issue. Turns out the fridge got way too cold and froze the liquid in the keg!

How long are your beer lines from the keg to the picnic tap? The longer those are, the more resistance they will produce, and the slower the beer will dispense. If they're only 4-6 ft. long it won't be your problem though. If they're 10+ ft. long, it could be.

Also, is the fridge too cold? I had a keg go slow. I thought it was the dip tube issue. Turns out the fridge got way too cold and froze the liquid in the keg!

Good point! Sometimes its the simplest of things that go wrong and you can't see the forest from the trees so to speak.

It took opening the lid to find that out. There was only about a gallon and a half in the keg, and it was like a thick slushie.

I always look at the dip tubes now when I assemble the kegs. I've had a couple not want to pour. A couple of them I have to reach in with one arm and hold the dip tube while I tighten the post.

Hey all,

Just wanted to post back that everything is working great now. It was just a matter of getting the beer out disconnect attached more securely. I also see what you guys mean by the collar of the quick disconnect, I didn't realize it had a moving part. Sometimes it really is the simplistic things.

Woot, I have a kegerator! :rockin:

I just had this problem, glad I read this, I pulled my kegs and gave them a little shake and could hear the icy-slush...Was able to pull a tall one of my Pumpkin Porter so I think I will make it through the night :mug: Love this site...ask, and you get an answer! and then usually feel :drunk:

Cheers to this thread... I just did my first kegging last week, the beer was pouring really slow last night and tasted sweeter than I remembered it, almost like it was unfermented. Read this thread, fiddled with my kegerator, realized I had frozen my keg too! Silly, silly, silly.

Back