Slow Fermintation for Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. I have been making cider now for a long time. I just racked a bunch that is good. Twelve more gallons to rack. I do well at that and have made Cyser in years past. This year has been a struggle. I have a primary of cider and honey that came in at about SG =1.095. I pitched Lalvin 71B and things got active for about a day and a half. Then stopped. I cautiously opened the primary to check on things. Still good flavor, SG = 1.07 but no activity in the air lock. Re-pitched a new starter of the same yeast and it is still no activity out of the airlock. However, when I tested it, the SG is lower again like things are working. Is it possible to have fermentation without generating gas? I will check it again in a few days.

Usually the first few days are very vigorously fermenting, then the yeast settle down. I have not personally experimented with 71B so I can just offer general advice.

I didn't see you mention any nutrients, and while apple juice is a good starting point, honey is a desert with no nutrients for the yeast. did you add any to the must?

Thanks, yes both times I pitched I added 1/2tsp of wyeast nutrient. Also, it is a 6 gallon primary that is full if that matters. It just is not as active as the last two batches of Cider are.

How many times can I re-pitch yeast? I have done it twice now. I am thinking of getting it started again with a more robust yeast. This is the first time I have used 71B

71B burned through my Black Raspberry Melomel in 9 days. Taking it from 1.085 to .994.

I used 2 Tbls of Yeast Nutrient and 1 Tbls of Yeast Energizer. I believe they are from LD Carlson.

71B took 10 days on my, OG 1.096, Tart Cherry Melomel for airlock activity to take longer than I have the patience to watch. Using the same amounts of nutrient and energizer. Both pitched dry and stirred in. 71B is pitched dry and stirred in as well.

Both were six gallon batches.

How many times can I re-pitch yeast? I have done it twice now. I am thinking of getting it started again with a more robust yeast. This is the first time I have used 71B
You can repitch as many times as you want, just make sure you use the same yeast.
Now, you said you wanted to do a more robust yeast, my concern there would be the robust yeast stressing the 71B. Use your hydro religiously and monitor it, >IF< you decide to use a more robust yeast.
May I suggest one more dry pitch of 71B before you risk a new yeast?

Thanks, I think I will just be patient. I opened to add more yeast nutrient yesterday and the gravity is continuing to go down. It was down to 1.04 from a starting SG of 1.095 so something is happening. Thanks for the information about re-pitching yeast. I will not try a different yeast.

Could the no airlock activity just be not a good seal? If your gravity is still dropping, I would check to see if you have a leak. I usually put a rubber band in my airlock to make sure the bung stays put

As seen here

Attachments

• 20200904_083106.jpg
    20200904_083106.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 11
Could the no airlock activity just be not a good seal? If your gravity is still dropping, I would check to see if you have a leak. I usually put a rubber band in my airlock to make sure the bung stays put

I use a shoe string. The other day, I tightened it too tight and pulled the airlock to the side a bit and immediately lost pressure on the airlock. As soon as I loosened it, pressure came back. You can over do it.

Well I guess you learn something new every year. I use buckets for my primary. I changed the lid twice because I suspected leaks. Still no activity in the air lock. Change the air lock, nothing. Checked it today and fermentation was completly done. SG = 1.0. Odd. I have never seen initial fermindation happen without lots of bubbling. Racking it today. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Back