Slow carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDale

Reaction score
I brewed a farmhouse that ended up taking close to 2 months to finish in the secondary.my OF was 1.080 FG was 1.005 so by my fuzzy math, this brew came in around 10%. It is pretty smooth and all and hides the alcohol too well but it has very light carbonation. I was afraid that I had bottled a literal bomb. This ale has been in the bottle for over two weeks. My question is, does a higher abv brew take longer to carbonate? I used the same amount of corn sugar that I always use for a 5 gallon batch. Any insight would be appreciated.

Wow! OK then I will just try and be patient until these get to their full potential. Thank you for the reply.
D

2 weeks is only half way to testing day.

Yep, at least. 3 weeks is the minimum time required to reach full carbonation, and that's for lower gravity beers. The higher the gravity the longer it will take. A big beer like that could take months to reach full carbonation.

Thanks Juan, I have never made a brew that was this high in gravity and all around took this long. Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Back