Slip dual vessel mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akithegood

Reaction score
I've been using a 2 vessel RIMS system for a while now. The MLT is a 30-liter kettle with false bottom and a PID-controlled 3 kW heating element and the BK is a 50-liter kettle also using a 3 kW element. It's great for 19 l batches of any strength, but double (38 l) batches are limited to about 1.050 OG because the MLT can't hold much more than 8 kg's of malt with a reasonable water-to-grain ratio.

What I'm thinking of is using my BK as an extension for the MLT. I would mash in with, for example, 12 kg's of malt and 18 litres of water. I would also heat an additional 18 litres of water to mash temperature in the BK, then recirculate the wort from MLT to BK and back to MLT. Combining the mash-in water and the additional water in the BK, my water-to-grain ratio would be 3 liters/kg, equal to a mash that would need closer to 50-liter mash tun.

I've read of some people doing this, but nothing on how it affects the efficiency or other aspects of the beer. What do you think?

Don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm unfamiliar with metric quantities. Would that be a full volume mash?
Would you have enough room to mash and reserve an amount for sparge?
Like any alteration to your system, you'll need to run a couple of batches to see how it affects your equipment profile.

The numbers translate to roughly 26.5 lbs of malt and 19+19 quarts of water, so the total water-to-grain ratio is about 1.44 qt/lbs.

For a double batch of 38 liters (~10 gallons) I need about 45 liter (~11.9 gallon) boil volume, so I would be sparging with about 19 liters (~5 gallons).

Latest posts

Back