Slingblade recall.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinr

Reaction score
Looks like MoreBeer is recalling Slingblade curved elements. Got an email from them a couple of days ago requesting I stop using it immediately due to a recently identified safety issue. They have offered to replace it (No ETA when new ones will be in stock) or refund purchase. AND they are offering $50 for the inconvenience.

If you remove the thick rubberband like covering over the wire terminals, you can use a 3mm Allen wrench to check and tighten. Obviously unplug the element first. I found about a 3rd of the elements had extremely loose or noticeably loose screws. This was an obvious cluster F at the factory. Whoever was in charge of the screw tightening... Well, you had ONE JOB!

<whew!> For a minute there I thought you meant Billy Bob wanted the DVDs back...
1594505441474.png

If you remove the thick rubberband like covering over the wire terminals, you can use a 3mm Allen wrench to check and tighten. Obviously unplug the element first. I found about a 3rd of the elements had extremely loose or noticeably loose screws. This was an obvious cluster F at the factory. Whoever was in charge of the screw tightening... Well, you had ONE JOB!
I got one from you, lol, think its ok?

"Do you feel lucky, son?" [said in my best Dirty Harry voice]
I think he said the odds were 1 in 3 you'd get a loose version :)

Cheers! (I'd definitely follow @Bobby_M's procedure)

It is might not bad idea to open up and check contact tightness other elements too. I had one of the 5500W wavy elements that many use start to melt contact cover, and 6L30 plug enough I chose to replace(probably did not have too).

I figured it was my error making up the cord, but opened up element contact housing, and the contact was loose, apparently arching a little. My attachments in plug were still tight. This was after about a dozen batches on the element.

It is might not bad idea to open up and check contact tightness other elements too. I had one of the 5500W wavy elements that many use start to melt contact cover, and 6L30 plug enough I chose to replace(probably did not have too).

I figured it was my error making up the cord, but opened up element contact housing, and the contact was loose, apparently arching a little. My attachments in plug were still tight. This was after about a dozen batches on the element.

Thats what Denord and Spike elements do because the area should be epoxy potted to reduce blade flex. Without potting, its a matter of when, not if, a blade breaks off a weld.

Anyone know if they still plan to re-release after the issue is corrected? Last I heard, it had bumped out to late September, but now I see they no longer show up on several of the sites. Just hoping to find some more information. Thanks!

Drag, I like the idea of it, and was hoping to get one to try, then the recall started. Hopefully it is something fixable and they come on market again...

Hey Bobby. Am I correct in assuming they rebuilt these and epoxied the prongs correctly. Got a new open boxed sling blade. I was able to remove the nut on the prong side but the black plastic cap is firm and does not want to budge. There is also clear epoxy around each prong. I don't want to force it if I got a newer version.

Back