Slight problem maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickmick

Reaction score
So I started making some Mead a while back about two gallons or so. Right before it first fished fermenting I was hit with a short notice deployment. My buddy let's me keep a few things at his house while I'm gone. My fish guns and Mead. Come back 6 months later move into my new place. About a month later I take a look at the Mead and realize that the water in the air lock is gone. No more barrier between the Mead and the air. Not sure home long it was like that but it was there when I left. Is my Mead still good to drink or should I just dump it?

Hi Mickmick - and welcome. Short answer is ... taste it. If it tastes OK then it is OK. If it tastes like a sherry then it has oxidized but if you like sherry it is still drinkable. The proof of the pudding, is, as they say, always in the eating, and, in my opinion, dumping is always the resort after the last resort has not worked. Never the first thing to do.

Back