Skunky Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MannyEdwards

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this has to go in the General Beer Discussion section. I got started brewing at about 3:00 this afternoon, and about when I started lautering, Watson (my Jack Russell terrier) scared up a skunk in the barn. The first indication was his hysterical barking. The next subtle hint was a wave of skunky muskness thick enough to make your eyes water. Or mine, anyway. And that was only the first of a half-dozen like it.

This stuff was so dense it permeated the concrete patio. Now, 5 hours later, the entire house -- hell, the entire valley -- reeks of skunk. My skin is going to smell skunky for days. I'm convinced my beer is going to taste like year-old Heineken.

Maybe I should have pitched a funky Saison yeast to mask it, instead of US-05. We'll know in a few weeks.

It would be crazy if the yeast ate all the stink that might have went into it and gave you a totally different, much desired final produce.

Back