Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not too sure. Sulfates or hydrogen sulfide? Strong sulfur taste. Rotten eggs? No. More like a sulfur experiment in HS Chem class.... (But it HAS been awhile since I smelled rotten eggs.)

If it isn't the rotten egg smell, then it is most likely so2. If there is too much, you can TRY the copper method. Get a small piece of copper pipe (about an inch or two) and stir the SP with it for 5 seconds. Warning. Copper can be poisonous in certain doses.

Personally, I would let it sit for a while before you try anything else. So2 will evaporate over time. If you aren't happy with the progress after a month or more, try warming it up to help the so2 evaporate.

Also. The reason you may be sensing the sulfur is because it is blending with the acid in the SP and evaporating off quickly. I would personally, just let it sit for a while.

I have a similar Sulfur like odor and taste in my SP. I just mixed in the other stuff so it will be a few more weeks while it clears and I will then back sweeten it up.

My plan, if it is still present at kegging time, is to force carb this up, then "degas it" by allowing it to come to room temps and using a picnic tap with a bleeder valve and bleed the gas out. After a few days when I get no "pffft" from the bleeder I will then cold crash and re-carb.

I have had some fantastic results doing this with beer that had some strange flavors in it. If you have this option, IMO, it is worth a try!

WIP, I've been keeping it loosely covered with the lid and air lock. Perhaps I'm not letting it evaporate enough? I uncovered it today and left the lid completely open for an hour while I was bottling some beer. After I finished I whipped it for about a minute.

You don't need to leave it open, an airlock will allow the evap to happen. I don't want your pee to oxidize.

For those of you who are experiencing sulfur smells, here are some suggestions. Sulfur dioxide develops when yeast are stressed. You want to provide optimal conditions for your yeast. If you go to my home page and follow the recipe exactly, you shouldn't have SO2 issues. Using the right yeast will help considerably. Don't let the batch get too warm, I try to keep mine under 80*. Introducing some oxygen while the batch is fermenting also helps, I use a wire whisk and I beat the surface a bit. If you are starting your batch with the slurry from another wine, make sure the yeast are healthy; starting a batch with pre-stressed yeast is asking for trouble. During the early stages of the ferment, I cover my primary with a dish towel and use a large rubber band to hold it in place. If you are unlucky enough to get SO2 smells, at the first signs, check your temperature and lower if necessary, whip some air into it, or if you have another primary fermentor laying around, pour the batch back and forth between the primaries a couple of times to aerate it. Cheers and best of luck. Enjoy your Skeeter Pee.

For those of you who are experiencing sulfur smells, here are some suggestions. Sulfur dioxide develops when yeast are stressed. You want to provide optimal conditions for your yeast. If you go to my home page and follow the recipe exactly, you shouldn't have SO2 issues. Using the right yeast will help considerably. Don't let the batch get too warm, I try to keep mine under 80*. Introducing some oxygen while the batch is fermenting also helps, I use a wire whisk and I beat the surface a bit. If you are starting your batch with the slurry from another wine, make sure the yeast are healthy; starting a batch with pre-stressed yeast is asking for trouble. During the early stages of the ferment, I cover my primary with a dish towel and use a large rubber band to hold it in place. If you are unlucky enough to get SO2 smells, at the first signs, check your temperature and lower if necessary, whip some air into it, or if you have another primary fermentor laying around, pour the batch back and forth between the primaries a couple of times to aerate it. Cheers and best of luck. Enjoy your Skeeter Pee.

Are you sure you aren't confusing so2 with h2s? h2s is what causes the rotten egg sulfur smell and is caused by stressed yeast. so2 is added to wine to stabilize it.

i just kegged my first batch. after clearing it had a really funny (not ha-ha) taste, not sulfury just bitter and chemically, but this totally dissipated in the 4 weeks since then. i sweetened it to 1.004 and, at least warm and still, it is more than sweet enough for my taste, i think it would be sickly sweet with any more sugar, but wondering what others prefer, out of curiosity. i know it will be a bit different on the palate cold and fizzy but i anticipate it being just right!
bye

I had ALOT of help from everyone on the forums so I wanted to share pics.

My brother owns a bakery so he brought me a million pounds if brown sugar so I used it hence the brown mop water ( I was so afraid it was gonna be horrible) after it fermented out it was kinda a straw color I then racked it onto blueberry's for a day then into the secondary which is where it is now

Thanks every for all the advice BTW it's very very tasty it ended around 10.48%

image-2602572159.jpg

image-416989849.jpg

image-4292027685.jpg

Are you sure you aren't confusing so2 with h2s? h2s is what causes the rotten egg sulfur smell and is caused by stressed yeast. so2 is added to wine to stabilize it.

You are correct WIP, got my sulfurs mixed up. Gettin' old I guess.

Captive/Lon, I used some wine must from a friend and added some Red Star Premier Cuvee, just to be on the safe side. The sulfur smell developed after I transferred to the final vessel and added kmeta, sorbate and sparkalloid. The temps throughout were 74F or less. I thought I'd whipped it enough, maybe not. I've whipped it for 30 secs a couple of times a day; continue or stop?
WIP, If there isn't any positive air pressure (like from fermentation), will the SP be able to push past the vodka in the airlock?
I guess I'll let it sit for awhile. Fortunately, I have enough brew in my pipeline to help me through these troubled times....

So2 will evap over time. Just let it sit at room temp for a while under airlock (top up the vessel so it doesn't oxidize).

Once the so2 is in there, you have to be patient for it to calm down. You could even bottle it and wait, but that will take longer. Check it in a month.

Kmeta is so2, it sounds like you just added a little too much.

I do have a faster way to get rid of the so2 if you want to try it. You could even do a sample with it to see if it helps. Put some in a glass and stir it with a clean piece of copper for a couple of seconds. let it sit for a couple minutes and taste it to see if it is better, if it is better but not quite perfect, stir with the copper for a couple more seconds, repeat as necessary. If it works, use the copper to stir the whole vessel for 5 seconds or so, repeat as necessary. WARNING! Copper can be poisonous in too large of amounts, so don't use it TOO much. I would MAX your stir time in the large vessel at 15 seconds.

I conducted an experiment of sorts. Overwhelming smell of sulfur when I first removed the lid. Tried a half ounce of SP last night. DRY, but no sulfur taste. Okay, I can back sweeten and deal with that. Left it alone overnight (working mids this week, 10pm-8am) and tried an ounce this morning (still had the initial blast of sulfur). Still okay. Added a half teaspoon of sugar (to the half ounce remaining); better but not great. Not like drinking a sulfuric acid/lemonade like I imagined. I'm gonna let it sit for a few. My next question to our distinguished panel of experts is, how much table sugar to add to back sweeten? It's about 6 gals and FG of .991 (~10.3% ABV). If I could get a low ball park and then increase from there before I bottle... Thanks, Pete

petey_c said:
I conducted an experiment of sorts. Overwhelming smell of sulfur when I first removed the lid. Tried a half ounce of SP last night. DRY, but no sulfur taste. Okay, I can back sweeten and deal with that. Left it alone overnight (working mids this week, 10pm-8am) and tried an ounce this morning (still had the initial blast of sulfur). Still okay. Added a half teaspoon of sugar (to the half ounce remaining); better but not great. Not like drinking a sulfuric acid/lemonade like I imagined. I'm gonna let it sit for a few. My next question to our distinguished panel of experts is, how much table sugar to add to back sweeten? It's about 6 gals and FG of .991 (~10.3% ABV). If I could get a low ball park and then increase from there before I bottle... Thanks, Pete

What I did was add 6 cups of sugar in a pot added just enough water to completely dissolve then added it in portions until it was to my girlfriends taste!!

I pulled a 1/2 gallon sample and added a measured amount of sugar until it tasted right. Then converted the amount of sugar to match the rest of the batch.

WIP, that sounds too much like math... just kidding. Performed a more realistic test like Cjacquette81 did, though on a much smaller scale. 1 oz. (aprox.) with ~1/2 tsp. sugar. Poured over ice and served to SWMBO.
Also, RTFI (Read The Fine Instructions!), "Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy, add 6 cups sugar, and stir to dissolve." Oh, that's how much sugar to back sweeten. :rolleyes: derp

tasted my first pee batch finally after giving it 4 weeks post-chemical bombardment, at which time it tasted nasty, and Man it's Delicious!! far more body than i expected, really quite winey, tangy, slightly sweet, it's great. 1.004 and no more.
i kegged it but poured a quick sample after a few days to let some long lost relatives on a quick visit try it, and over the next few hours they made about 8 return trips to the tap! not sure i even want it carbed after trying it still. and definitely would not want it any sweeter than it is

Decided to bottle my pee today (actually yesterday). 19 liters. Since my fermenter didn't have a valve and I don't have a siphon, I poured it gently onto the sugar. Had a sample while bottling and it was pretty good. When I get home later today, I'll throw a bottle in the fridge and sample it again in a couple of days. Now, I just have to solve the problem of two empty fermenters.....

Would it be ok to ferment the pee all the way to dry in an open fermenter (bucket covered with tea towel), and not rack it onto carboys until it's time for the sorbate etc?

Would it be ok to ferment the pee all the way to dry in an open fermenter (bucket covered with tea towel), and not rack it onto carboys until it's time for the sorbate etc?

certainly

How has the colour turned out for everyone, my 1 gallon batch tastes good but it's very pale.

I think it's supposed to be really clear and pale, look at the pictures on the skeeter pee website. they almost look like sprite

Bridochristie, I used must from a red wine (Amarone) so my pee is kinda purple-ish. I just bottled it the other day and have two bottles sitting in the fridge chillin'. I'll try it after a couple more days.

petey_c said:
Bridochristie, I used must from a red wine (Amarone) so my pee is kinda purple-ish. I just bottled it the other day and have two bottles sitting in the fridge chillin'. I'll try it after a couple more days.

Good point, never considered the must adding it's own colour. I used a sort of apple juice starter thing which was pale. Still lovely though

amarone is delicious- partially dried grapes, raisiny deliciousness! i backsweetened with raw/demerara sugar so my pee is a bit beige... weird color, great flavor (brits add u to those words as you see fit!)

Just cracked two bottles off the pee I had aging on raspberries. I sweetened as per the original recipe with these as well and they are just not doing it for me. With 2 tsp of sugar added to the glass they taste good, with 3 tsp and ice they are PHENOMENAL. Next batch I make I will hopefully have the keg setup and I will try sparkling and over sweetened.

Just cracked two bottles off the pee I had aging on raspberries. I sweetened as per the original recipe with these as well and they are just not doing it for me. With 2 tsp of sugar added to the glass they taste good, with 3 tsp and ice they are PHENOMENAL. Next batch I make I will hopefully have the keg setup and I will try sparkling and over sweetened.

mine is in the keg on tap and it is "phenomenal":mug:.. i dried mine out and backsweetened with a mix of xylitol and pure stevia.. the xylitol is not cheap and didnt want to use the full 2lbs as i had planned on so i used a little stevia to for the second lbs of the sweetener.. the xylitol seems to hit up front in the mouth as the pure stevia kinda has a darker more in the back of the mouth sweetness.. my gravity when done was at 1.012.. i dont like any of those other alcohol surgar sweeteners that have malto dextrin as the filler. they seem to coat my toung and get a little thick.. next batch is going to be a strawberry pee that i will use ony 100% stevia and mix to where i like it.. i dont think my gravity will be the same though.. sparkling is the best way IMO..:tank:
EDIT: forgot to mention that i dont go the route of stopping the fermentation and makes this is a diabetic friendly drink for some of my family :)

mine is in the keg on tap and it is "phenomenal":mug:.. i dried mine out and backsweetened with a mix of xylitol and pure stevia.. the xylitol is not cheap and didnt want to use the full 2lbs as i had planned on so i used a little stevia to for the second lbs of the sweetener.. the xylitol seems to hit up front in the mouth as the pure stevia kinda has a darker more in the back of the mouth sweetness.. my gravity when done was at 1.012.. i dont like any of those other alcohol surgar sweeteners that have malto dextrin as the filler. they seem to coat my toung and get a little thick.. next batch is going to be a strawberry pee that i will use ony 100% stevia and mix to where i like it.. i dont think my gravity will be the same though.. sparkling is the best way IMO..:tank:
EDIT: forgot to mention that i dont go the route of stopping the fermentation and makes this is a diabetic friendly drink for some of my family :)

Ive got a strawberry pee in the secondary right now. I pureed 2 large flats of strawberries, added to the fermenter with 1 bottle lemon juice and the standard invert sugar amount. I used 3 sachets (15 g) of Lalvin 1116....so far its Great from the samples that I've pulled. So much Strawberry flavor and aroma! the only issue that I have so far is the Haziness. I used 2 tsp Pectic enzyme at the start and another 1 1/2 tsp after primary and its still very hazy (used isinglass as well) ...oh well I can deal with haze with a taste like that ...this will be a repeat for sure!

Ive got a strawberry pee in the secondary right now. I pureed 2 large flats of strawberries, added to the fermenter with 1 bottle lemon juice and the standard invert sugar amount. I used 3 sachets (15 g) of Lalvin 1116....so far its Great from the samples that I've pulled. So much Strawberry flavor and aroma! the only issue that I have so far is the Haziness. I used 2 tsp Pectic enzyme at the start and another 1 1/2 tsp after primary and its still very hazy (used isinglass as well) ...oh well I can deal with haze with a taste like that ...this will be a repeat for sure!

have you ever used hot sparkaloid? thats my goto for wine and would work great for a hazy pee that wont clear.. i try not to use clearing agents and let time do the work unless im trying to get something done fast:mug:

Has anyone tried substituting some or all of the sugar in this recipe for honey? A light lemon melomel sounds pretty good.

How long does the fermentation take? I started 6/14 and a couple weeks ago I was at 1.012ish.

If you start off with a very good slurry, it can go from beginning to completion in less than 4 weeks. If your batch is challenged (e.g. by yeast type, temperature, ingredients) it could take longer.

Glad to hear you're still making progress.

Just found this post, and as I have a 5 gal batch of traditonal mead ferminting now, I think I know what the lees will be used for.... think I will use honey instead of sugar as well. If hot lemon juice and honey (with a bit of whisky of course) is good in the winter, then I belive that cold lemon / honey wine should be great in the summer. Will post here as it goes.

Went with small batch for mine. Used the minute maid lemon juice that comes preservative free. My only worry is I was out of energizer. Gave it a dose of nutrient in place of it. Anyone know of an in a pinch substitute for energizer? There are no lhbs in this area (only one or two in my state even since we can buy Chivas Regal, stamped buy the govt healthy for you...). I've killed a starter for nutrient and that seemed to work quite well. Ideas?

Edits: phone based typos.

Back