Size of Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAlexander

Reaction score
Hey guys. Started off my first few batches a few weeks ago with a 6.5 gal plastic carboy. Now I'm getting into a little more advanced stuff and wanted the ability to brew a couple of batches at once as well as a secondary fermentor. Went to the local brew store and was told that primary's need to be 6.5 gallons but secondary's need to be exactly 5 gallons, because you want as little air as possible in the carboy during secondary fermentation. Is this the case? I walked away with a 6.5 gallon and a 5 gallon that day, so I have some options, but I hadn't heard that before. Also, one of the beers I'm working on now is a wheat beer that I'm planning on adding Rasberries to during the secondary, and I've heard you need some extra room in that one.

Thoughts?

All sounds right. When you begin making beer you typically start off with a batch of about 5.5 gallons or maybe even a little more. After going to the secondary you will lose a little beer when you rack (siphon into the smaller secondary). Most on here suggest 1 week in primary, 2 insecondary, 3 inbottles, but you can do more. Some brews even take longer than that in the primary. The reason for the larger primary is that while fermenting, there will be some bubbling and junk that floats to the top. If you only had a 5 gallon primary, you may overflow with some explosive fermenting beers. Even with the 6.5g setup, you still may need a blow-off tube instead of an airlock, but when you do the recipe, it will probably tell you that (do a search if you need to for blow off tube)

The reason the secondary is a 5g is correct. You want as little air as possible. The secondary is almost strickly for clarifing. The fermenting is done, now we wnt that junk to be left in the first and the beer can sit in the second so it can clear. No fermenting = no overflow = no need to have the extra head space. Then when bottling, again, leave the junk on the bottom and you'll get clearer beer, but will lose a little again. You're goal is to end with just about 5 gallons. Follow the recipe as a beginner, though (I do).

You can do any 5 gallon batch with the size and equip. you have. If you want to brew more at a time, how about a second primary? That way as one ages in the secondary, you can brew again and have an open one. The buckets (even carboys for that matter) are pretty cheap, so if you have the room, go for it!

Be careful, though...a lot of these guys have 5+ of each!

There is nothing magical about a 5gal for secondary. Your 6.5 gallon will work. If you are putting actual fruit or any sugar for that matter into a secondary then expect an actual secondary fermentation. This required more space for another krausen and more trub.

If you are doing a standard beer then use the 5gal for 2ndary, but if adding more fermentables, go for the 6.5. Of course always use the 6.5s for primary.

Congrats o the multiple batch move! It's really cool to have 2 bubbling away harmoniously.

Back