Six Month Return to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
So after my job and school got in the way of brewing i finally got something brewed Saturday. It was a hobgoblin clone except i had some hops that had been in the freezer for a while so i figured i'd used them. Brewed and everything went well, i even got to use the wort chiller i had bought from AHS to replace my old one that wasn't very good. Hit the right volume (thanks to the chiller, i was losing way too much due to evaporation before), hit the right Grav, and it looked fantastic. The yeast pack however didn't seem to be expanding, we pitched it anyway after aerating. Next day it wasn't doing much so i left it alone. Didn't check it yesterday, and on the way home from work i was thinking 'I really should check it'.

Well, got home, checked it and at some point the Fermentation kicked up. A LOT! I've had it do it before but i caught it last time. This time it had clogged the airlock. The pressure built and the insert and top of the airlock blew off, hit the ceiling and i lost about 24oz of beer to the carpet. I found the top, but can't find the insert.

I know this post is pointless without pictures but i was told to clean it up, so i did.

Anyway the point is, returning to brewing is great!

Welcome back.

Don't let it happen again...:D

WHAT?!? That can happen all it wants, that proves to me my yeast is.... (if i dare) fertile... lol, anyway that's twice a batch has done that. Here i thought the yeast was possibly a dud.

Also this proves that 6+ month old crushed grains can still be used... as i've done a couple times...

Well judging by your sig you brewed enough to sustain you for those 6 months.

Or you haven't updated your sig yet.

Oh there is enough, i like to let them sit though for a while.

the first thing i did after making my OP was update my sig lol.

I know how you feel. I am gonna be brewing for the first time in about six months this weekend. I haven't had any time since getting married and buying a house. I am really stoked to brew again.

Ya man welcome back. Myself and the brew crew kinda took the summer off because of trips and fishing and everything else. Im so glad to be brewing again. I love how it brings people togeather.

Back