Siphoning??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
Im curious how you guys siphon to the glass carboy....like how do you get it started? I'll be doing this in the next couple days and want to do it the right way. Using your mouth to start it doesnt seem very sanitary...

I fill mine with Iodophor solution and use that to start it. Stick a sanitary thumb over the end of the tube and hold the cane upright. Then in one smooth motion, stick the cane in the beer and lower the tube and release your thumb. Collect the iodine in a throwaway container and once it's beer coming out, switch to your fermenter.

You can also use tap water if it's city water with chlorine and all.

They also make this little pump thing that starts a siphon for you, but I've never needed one. Also I like to use a half inch cane for faster racking.

Tophe96 said:
Im curious how you guys siphon to the glass carboy....like how do you get it started? I'll be doing this in the next couple days and want to do it the right way. Using your mouth to start it doesnt seem very sanitary...

I could never get a good siphon going by filling the tube and always resorted to starting it by mouth. I bought a Fermtech autosiphon at my local brewshop. At around $10, it was well worth it.

dcarlson said:
I could never get a good siphon going by filling the tube and always resorted to starting it by mouth. I bought a Fermtech autosiphon at my local brewshop. At around $10, it was well worth it.

or, if you like Vodka! you can take a big swig and gargle around with it before you siphon. that'll kill any buggers! :D

DeRoux's Broux

i've used me mouth many times, and don't think i've gotten any funk yet.

i figured out how to use the siphon without my mouth though, which is great cause the last swig came through me nose.... :p

it's all about gravity, i always put the container i'm syphoning from above, like three feet or so above the receptical....

i fill the tube as much as possible, but don't let any get into the racking cane, you have to kinda bend the tube up so much, but let there be some slack so it doesn't creep into the cane... thumb over the end, attach the cane to the clip around the mouth of the carboy...., now depending on how much beer is in the carboy, your cane fills up, leaving only about five inches of air in the tube/cane, then you angle the bad boy down, and let yer thumb off... it should be enough potential energy released to get that bad boy sucking... i usually fill a small tumbler first and give it a taste before i let it into the next container... i'm sorta impatient and wanna taste it right away... ;)

Janx said:
I fill mine with Iodophor solution and use that to start it. Stick a sanitary thumb over the end of the tube and hold the cane upright. Then in one smooth motion, stick the cane in the beer and lower the tube and release your thumb. Collect the iodine in a throwaway container and once it's beer coming out, switch to your fermenter.

I basically did it this way with tap water, but found it easier to use a plastic shut-off clip instead of my thumb over the end. A little bit easier to handle that way. Fill the cane/tubing, lock the clip, insert into carboy, release clip.

Well, i did my first siphon . I bought this auto siphon thing for 3.00 and it didnt work very well . I used it to fill the line though and then took it off and set it down in the carboy, and she took off. Had a little taste too and it was good....Honey Nut brown ale :)

Janx said:

Much like what he said, but without the thumb and solution..... :D... I fill the tube with water, ap[ply the lock device on the hose, place the cane into the batch with one of those orange stand-off plastic pieces, release the lock and let it flow into a container until it's all beer, close the lock then put the other cane into the bottling bucket and open the lock again. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Much like what he said, but without the thumb and solution..... :D... I fill the tube with water, ap[ply the lock device on the hose, place the cane into the batch with one of those orange stand-off plastic pieces, release the lock and let it flow into a container until it's all beer, close the lock then put the other cane into the bottling bucket and open the lock again. :D

Although I have been tempted into looking into the auto-syphon lately. :D :D

this is what i did.

i put a small hole in the end (about 3/4 inch) of the tygon tubeing that i was useing to siphon into secondary. next i get the "canned air" out of my tool bag (electronics tech) and inserted the sanatized tube from the canned air in the tygon tubeing pointing away from my primary bucket. a second or two after i squeezed the trigger, i had fluid flowing into a waste cup. i them yanked the canned ar tube out of the tygon and inserted it into the carboy i was useing as secondary.

not scientific, but better than sucking on the end of the tygon tubeing.

Tophe96 said:
I just bought a thing from Northern Brewer called a carboy cap, which wraps over the lip on the top of the carboy, and looks kinda like a rubber baby bottle topper except it has two little nozzles sticking out of it, one of them in the center and the other at an angle. I haven't tried it yet, but I guess it works by inserting your racking cane through one of the nozzles and then blow through the other one, forcing the beer out through the cane. The item was cheaper than an autosiphon thing, so I'll give it a try. Has anyone else used this device? Does it work?

Back