Simultaneously run wort into two carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lutherslagers

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a double barbed hose barb in order to run wort into two kettle simultaneously? If not, how do others achieve this?

seems like a T wouldn't necessary split the flow effectively but that's just me speculating.

Like this?

2Carboys.jpg

Fill one carboy, then fill the other?

That is what I do today. For the purposes of experimenting with different yeast I want to ensure the exact same wort volume, wort consistency and amount of trub. Seems to me the best way to ensure this is simultaneous flow into both carboys.

Added bonus: it should save a little time.

It's a multi-tap water valve. You could use the small ones designed for aquarium air pumps if you have time on your hands, or you could use a larger one designed for your garden. Here's one threaded to fit 3/4" garden hose.

4GangValve.jpg

I do this exactly using a stainless tee like is pictured on post #7 of this thread and silicon tubing. I make 10 gal batches and need to ferment in 2 separate vessels. I believe the wort in the 2 fermenters is very close to the same as far as trub and hop debris that might make it's way out of the kettle.

Liquid follows the path of least resistance and one branch always has a higher flow rate than the other. Not by a lot but enough that one better bottle will fill a bit faster than the other. When the quicker of the 2 is filled I close the valve on the pump output, move the end of the tube from the faster to slower, and top it off. It is usually about 20 to 30 seconds of flow from both tubes to finish off.

It works for me.

lutherslagers said:
That is what I do today. For the purposes of experimenting with different yeast I want to ensure the exact same wort volume, wort consistency and amount of trub. Seems to me the best way to ensure this is simultaneous flow into both carboys.

Added bonus: it should save a little time.

Interesting. Not to derail your plan, AT ALL, but personally, if I was trying to get that close of a comparison, I am sure I would blow it by not pitching the exact same amount of yeast. Sounds like a great experiment.

Latest posts

Back