Simple apple cider varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucienpower

Reaction score
Hard apple cider in three stages: Primary fermentation, secondary to add flavours, and bottle conditioning.

I've been brewing this over the summer and it's really quite good. I brew in 3 gallon carboys but you can scale the recipe for 5 gallons. I have largely followed this recipe:

http://countryskillsblog.com/2012/07/04/sinfully-simple-cider-yes-you-really-can-brew-this-at-home

Primary fermentation:

I use store bought apple juice cartons, any brand even from concentrate so long as there are no additives, especially sulfates.

Brew 10 liters of juice with 1L of black English breakfast tea, steeped for 15mins (to allow for the tannin and that bitter taste) in a 3gal carboy. I pitched Lalvin EC 1118 yeast, addes a teaspoon of yeast nutrient and fermented for about 5 days (FG about 1.0000). My OG was 1.042. This is strong enough for me but you can always add sugar to the primary to increase ABV. If you need/want, let sit for a few days after fermentation is over to settle the yeast.

Secondary Carboy:

During this stage I will do one of several things to add flavour:

• Add 4 handfuls of frozen blackberries, or
• Add 4g frozen, dehydrated hops. (make sure you have hops for dry hopping, not bitter hops for mash), or
• Add 15g oak chips for 4-6 days (add more/less for longer/shorter depending on your taste), or
• Add 2 sticks or cinnamon, and 5 allspices, for a Autumn/Fall flavour, or
• Add anything you fancy for flavour, apricots, other berries, oak soaked in vodka, other spices, pumpkin pie spice etc.
• Do noting. If you want a pure and simple apple cider just go straight to bottle conditioning.

I will leave for about 4-6 days, tasting occasionally to make sure the flavours are what I’m looking for. After 4-6 days I bottle condition.

Bottle conditioning:

I have brown 1L bottles with swing top (EZ cap) and use 10 per 3 gallon fermentation.

Here I typically do one of two things:

• Bottle condition with plain white table sugar. I use 1.5 teaspoons per litre bottle. This gives a light carbonation and as of yet no bombs.
• Bottle condition with elderflower cordial for a floral summer flavour.

You could use other pure fruit flavours. You will need to read the nutritional information label and calculate how much to add per litre.

Please add suggestions/improvements below.

Other things I've tried:

Hopped (2oz/5gal) with helga hops, then bottle conditioned with lime cordial. This was amazing, the hops added body and there was a hint of lime.

30g dark French oak for 7 days. This was quite oaky and reminded me of aging in red wine barrels.

Hopped (2oz/5gal helga) with apricots and evaporated apricot juice.(2 liters boiled down to 1 liter). Also added 10g of crushed coriander seeds.

Ginger, 1oz piece per gallon, grated & frozen. (I actually used 1lb /5gal)

Salmon berries

Blueberries

Next I'd like to try:
Dark cherries
Peach
Rosemary
Raspberry & ginger

how did the salmon berries turn out? I'm making a wine with them right now, but salmon berry cider sounds great!

Ginger, 1oz piece per gallon

How did you treat the ginger? I made a ginger cyser recipe which took some fiddling to get right; it calls for 2 ounces of fresh ginger per gallon, peeled and finely grated. This came off as very "hot" upon bottling, but it aged out well to a perfectly snappy ginger flavor after 3 months.

That's what I've read too, 2oz/gallon. I just grated and froze for 24hr. I've got the ginger in the carboy at the moment. I plan on ageing 2 months before drinking. I quite like a strong ginger hit

Here are some results

IMG_20150827_202222.jpg

IMG_20160507_112903.jpg

Currently have a 5 gallon blackberry/ginger/lemongrass batch and a rose hip/maple syrup batch. I'm thinking of a Thai basil, ginger & juniper batch too.

how did the salmon berries turn out? I'm making a wine with them right now, but salmon berry cider sounds great!

Surprisingly good. I back sweetened during bottle conditioning with a tsp/ltr of truvia. It was a little too sweet for me. I will halve the truvia next time. But really great flavour. The blueberry one was also really great with a little back sweetening.

Latest posts

Back