Simple and modular PID housing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nameless

Reaction score
So I had my PID hardwired into a mini-fridge for a while but I'm shuffling around my cooling devices and needed something modular that didn't require cutting the cords. I had an old computer power supply lying around and put 2 and 2 together.

I used everything (minus the blue box) you see in the first picture plus a screwdriver and dremel, which you could substitute with some tin snips. A soldering iron isn't necessary as you can cut and strip the wires.

It's pretty self explanatory: remove the PCB, fan, and voltage selection switch, cut the appropriate holes, and wire it according to the PID's schematics.

Word of caution: capacitors (the two cylinders near the red wire on the bottom of the second picture) can store a charge for a long time. Ensure you take caution to not short them out or to properly drain them first.

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

IMG_6042.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

Back