Simcoe session IPA questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarbonTom

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am planning on brewing this beer this evening. I am going for a session style IPA, to the tune of founders' all day ipa. I have a sh!tton of leaf simcoe, so I am trying to use it up. I have a couple questions since this is a style I have yet to try.

Mash temp, should I be mashing low or high? I would like for it to be finishing on the dry side, so should I be doing like a 148?

Also, since I am trying to hack through a pound of leaf hops that I can't really store properly after I open the bag, is there any detriment to having a dry hop this big? I am making a large enough batch to not be too worried about loss from the dry hop. I figure 4 days will keep me from getting any vegetal notes.

Batch Size: 6.50 gal Style: American Pale Ale (10A)
Boil Size: 9.86 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 5.2 SRM Equipment: Pot on Dad's Cook top 10 gallon cooler mash tun
Bitterness: 43.0 IBUs Boil Time: 75 min
Est OG: 1.046 (11.3° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Light Body
Est FG: 1.008 SG (1.9° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 5.0% Taste Rating: 30.0
Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4

0.25 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 20 min Hops 5
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 6
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 7
2.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 8
4.0 oz Simcoe [1.0%] - Steep 30 min Hops 9
1 pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast 10
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3 days) Misc 11
8.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops 12

I'd definitely mash low. 148 is a good target temp.

That's a lot of dry hop matter. Frankly I'd settle down at about 4 ounces. I doubt you will notice any difference in the amount of dry hops after that.

I'd definitely mash low. 148 is a good target temp.

That's a lot of dry hop matter. Frankly I'd settle down at about 4 ounces. I doubt you will notice any difference in the amount of dry hops after that.

Ty. After some reading, I am thinking of doing a regular dry hop and then throw some in a bag in the keg as well.

I've found with leaf hops, you dont need to worry about getting any grassy vegetal flavors. I keg hopped a DIPA with whole leaf citra for 4 months before touching it. Not the slightest hint of grass flavors

I've found with leaf hops, you dont need to worry about getting any grassy vegetal flavors. I keg hopped a DIPA with whole leaf citra for 4 months before touching it. Not the slightest hint of grass flavors

Awesome! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.

Awesome! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.

Yeah no worries. I just use the unscented dental floss and dry hop all my hoppy beers in the keg. Just leave it in there the whole time and fish it out when the keg kicks. Just be sure you put like marbles at the bottom of the bag or something so it stays suspended in beer instead of a giant mass of 4oz dry hops floating on top

I'd mash high. Lots of hops with a low OG AND a low FG, equals thin and harsh IME. I try to keep my session beers at atleast 1.012. When doing normal or bigger beers, the alcohol counteracts the harshness of the hops, and provides some body and sweetness.

I think the grain bill is great for a session beer, lots of flavor and dextrins, but i'd still worry that it'd be thin at 1.008.

If you like it dry, go for it.

I bottled a session IPA yesterday; OG: 1.051, FG: 1.002. Tastes great, lots of grapefruit flavors. I think dry goes much better with the hops than sweet.

I used only FWH for bittering, everything else was 10 minutes and in. 8 ozs of leaf in total.

If you like it dry, go for it.

I bottled a session IPA yesterday; OG: 1.051, FG: 1.002. Tastes great, lots of grapefruit flavors. I think dry goes much better with the hops than sweet.

I used only FWH for bittering, everything else was 10 minutes and in. 8 ozs of leaf in total.

I don't really consider 6,4% ABV session.

And, just FYI, mashing high doesn't translate to sweet, it translates to full and/or rich. Sweet comes from under attenuation or ingredient choices.

I don't really consider 6,4% ABV session.

It started out to be a 'Session' IPA, but I mashed low and long, and got better mash efficiency and a more fermentable wort. Ended up with about 25% higher alcohol than originally designed. Tastes great!

It started out to be a 'Session' IPA, but I mashed low and long, and got better mash efficiency and a more fermentable wort. Ended up with about 25% higher alcohol than originally designed. Tastes great!

Hah this is exactly what happened on this brew day. Ended up getting stuck during transfer too. 1.051 OG and .75 gal under target haha. Lost a lot to trub, and that vol was after topping up a bit. Oh well. Im sure it will turn out tasty.

Latest posts

Back