Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo hop addiction help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdf2015

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if someone would be able to help me with my hop additions. i am going for an IPA that is roughly 55-60 IBU'S. I have these hops in my fridge and also have allot of Warrior @15.8%. any advice would be very welcome.

my current calculations are:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.40 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.74 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.72 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Date: 27 Jun 2016
Equipment: Grainfather2
Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.2 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Target: 1.065 SG
Bitterness 57.2 IBU

Taste Notes:

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 40.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 10.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 2.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 4.2 IBUs

Steeped Hops Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Dry Hop and Bottle/Keg
Dry Hop/Bottling Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [7.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

THANKS GUYS:mug:

Replace the 60 minute addition with a 1 ounce 20 minute addition of Tomahawk

and move all of your other hops to whirlpool and double the amount of all of them. :rockin:

I've used simcoe as a bittering hop with good results. You may like it!

I'd yank out the 15 minute and 5 minute addition and move it to flameout. Then, double your whirlpool. Your dry hop is also light. For a 5.25 gallon batch, I'd say you'll need a minimum of 10-12oz split among 2 additions.

Thanks. seems like im going to have to go shopping for more hops! expensive brew i guess

I used warrior as a bittering addition in a citra/amarillo pale ale I brewed and enjoyed the combination a lot. Would help you boost the IBUs and move your 1 oz of simcoe to the flavor/aroma additions.

Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe are too beautiful to waste as bittering additions!!! You said that you have some Warrior...so I would bitter with the Warrior and use the beautiful hops at the end of the boil. Those hops pair so well together that a combined late addition and dry hop would yield a fantastic beer!

I'd cut the Crystal to no more than 1/2 a pound. I'd also add 1/2 pound of carapils as well. I'd add the warrior for a battering hop and move everything in the boil to whirlpool. I'd whirlpool with no less than 4-6oz of hops and dry hop with the same amount.

I'd cut the Crystal to no more than 1/2 a pound. I'd also add 1/2 pound of carapils as well. I'd add the warrior for a battering hop and move everything in the boil to whirlpool. I'd whirlpool with no less than 4-6oz of hops and dry hop with the same amount.

Once I started using carapils, the quality of my ipa significantly increased. To me, it adds a sweetness without being overwhelming, increased viscosity, and a well rounded flavor. Currently I'm using either 8% carapils or 3%crystal for color and 5% carapils. You may also like using honey malt, but be cautious in how much you use. It's almost like an uber sweet c40.

sadly i have already ordered my grains but will definitely try out Carapils next time thanks.

So i am guessing whirlpool hops at flame out is the way to go. i will try this out and bitter with warrior.

thanks guys

sadly i have already ordered my grains but will definitely try out Carapils next time thanks.

So i am guessing whirlpool hops at flame out is the way to go. i will try this out and bitter with warrior.

thanks guys

I'd also wait till the temp drops to about 180 before starting your whirlpool hops and let those stay for 30 minutes.

Boil size: 7.4gallons - are you really only getting 5.25 gallons of wort into the fermenter with 7.4 gallons preboil? With my Grainfather, I shoot for 6.8gallons preboil, 6 gallons post, and 5.5 into the fermenter. I'm at sea level so maybe my boil off is different.

Back