silly question for cooler MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
IS there any reason why I could not use my camping cooler as a MLT?

I have a 10 gal igloo round cooler, and it is restricting some of the beers and sizes I make. So I am thinking of upgrading.

Will minor scratches matter in your mash tun?

Should I buy a new cooler to dedicate to mashing? or can I dual purpose?

You will need a braid or manifold in the cooler to filter out the grain from runnings. So if you share a cooler you will have to remove that each time you go camping.

10 gallon round coolers work great though for a MLT.

The mash tun does not need to be sanitary. It can't be. You need the enzymes in the grain and they come with many microbes that will spoil your beer. Scratches don't matter. The boil sterilizes the wort.

Rectangle coolers work fine for batch sparging. Than can work fly sparging but it's not as simple.

Dennybrew.com

The mash tun does not need to be sanitary. It can't be. You need the enzymes in the grian and they come with many microbes. Scratches don't matter.

Rectangle coolers work fine for batch sparging. They can work fly sparging but it's not as simple.

Dennybrew.com

Back