Show us your campers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Show and tell us what you have! Class A, B, C, pop-up, toy hauler, 5th wheel, teardrop? What kind of camping do you like to do? State/National parks? RV parks? Boondocking? Do you drop anchor and stay a while, or like to move around more? What mods, gadgets and add-ons have you incorporated? What works for you (and doesn't work)?

Last year, when the pandemic was ramping up, we ordered a new camper, we picked it up this past April. Decided to make more short-haul trips and camp. Tired of staying in hotels and we don't like sleeping in tents. Since it was just the two of us, and we don't plan to live in the thing, we opted for a small pop-up trailer, an Aliner. We also chose this, as our towing capacity was limited with a 4-cyl Rav4. The 10' Aliner is 1225 lbs dry, so cutting it close on weight once the water tanks, propane, etc. are filled. It has about everything we need--running water, sink, fridge, heater, AC, but no toilet or shower. The front dormer adds some space and makes it less cramped. We may upgrade some day, once we get a vehicle with more towing capacity, maybe a Tacoma. But car lots are almost empty now. Will wait a few years. Don't want a palatial trailer, something more in the 15-20' range and around 3000 lbs would do fine. The Flagstaff E-Pro line looks intriguing.

We're still very much noobs, and have only taken it to nearby state and county parks this year. I've done a few minor mods, added a wireless rear camera, and plan to add solar and bigger capacity storage batteries next year so we can stay at primitive sites. I just winterized the water system yesterday (frost isn't far away here), but will probably camp well into fall. We picked up a lot of helpful stuff from this guy on YouTube.

Aliner1.jpg

Aliner2.jpg

20210606_202640.jpg

Forest River Wildwood. ~5500 lbs. I added a backup camera, a shelf and outlet for each bunk, a flat-screen, and various camping accouterments. It has one slide. I've had to repair a number of things, some my fault others not. If you're handy at home, it's not too bad to work on. Waited a long time to get it and the stars finally aligned. Tow vehicle is a Ram 1500.

We like to relax at one spot for at least a few days. We like to bring the canopy to create more privacy. Preference is wooded campsites or ocean views. Full hookups are very important! Best is getting a group of friends and family together and bringing the jockey box and just hanging around the fire. Bonus if there is some live music on the agenda or an amusement park.

Still mid conversion but been using it all summer! Just need to get cabinets installed, tint windows and finish the bathroom. 3-way fridge, 400W of solar, mounted inverter generator and a diesel fueled heater. Wish I had more pics to share, had to steal this one from the wifes instagram.

bus.JPG

Back