Should I use butterfly valves in my all tri clamp e-herms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martianpc

Thirsty Bull Brewing
Reaction score
I have an all electric 20 gallon Herms system that I currently use Quick clean ball valves for. I have a total of 6 valves on the system two on the hot liquor tank two on the boil kettle, one on the mash tun output, and one on the mash tun top input port for recirculation. I don't love taking it apart to clean, and I am considering changing them all out to Butterfly valves. I still have the flow control on my pumps which are the blichman riptide with linear flow valves. Does anyone see a problem with this or any downsides besides the cost?

TIA

20171001_223701.jpg

If you do not need to control flow with them, and you don't mind the financial investment, definitely make the change. As you state, much easier for cleaning/sanitizing.

If flow control is a concern, go with diaphragm valves.

:mug:

all this stuff is on the hot-side of the brewery so cleaning isn't that critical. you're already ahead of must folks for ease of by having three-piece ball valves. that being said, certainly no harm going with butterfly other than the added expense.

there is one issue with the hlt, you might not be able to have the handles in the same orientation due to the larger size of the butterfly operators. you can rotate the valves so the handles are out of the way. it will work just fine but may be an aesthetics issue for you.

You can still get crud stuck in butterfly valves. They are a little easier to clean but gunk can get in the creases where the valve passes through the housing. I still have to take apart my system and scrub and soak the butterfly valves.

I will still remove the valves and clean them. I just don't like fully taking apart the ball valves.

I'd go for it. As others mentioned, aside from the price there isn't much downside if you don't need to control flow. I have butterfly valves on my recirculating eBIAB and love them. Super easy to keep clean compared to a ball valve. It takes me all of 5 min tops to completely disassemble all of the TC fittings and hoses and get them in a hot soak. The butterfly valves are no exception - just open them up and drop them in the soak along with all the other fittings. I do still have 1 ball valve on the outlet of my pump for flow control.

If you are going to be using your automation, I would just suggest motorized ball valves. They work great, are reasonably priced, and don't take up a ton of space. For cleaning, you just recycle hot PBW and have your automation cycle the valves to clean around the ball seats etc.

I never take my valves apart. After each brew they get a long cleaning run with PBW. After a bunch of brews, I can't see any discernable gunk in them.

I don't actually automate. I use the raspberrypi for PID and relay control but I still prefer to have manual override of most functions. That's why I have the buttons and switches under the touchscreen. This allows either automatic through the pi or manual control from the switches for the pumps and heating elements. Those automates valves are seriously awesome though.

Latest posts

Back