Should i still secondary ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclaren880

Reaction score
So i made a Wheat Beer (similar to Franziskaner) last saturday, so about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It will be 3 weeks this coming Saturday. I was on vacation for the 2 week mark, and that's when i usually would have switched to the seconday carboy. What i'm wondering, is if it's worth the hassle of doing it now, or if i should just go ahead and put them into bottles this weekend and skip the secondary fermenting stage.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

considering its a wheat beer, which are supposed to be cloudy, and your less than a week away from bottling i would just leave it.

So, what are your thoughts on this:

I haven't had time to bottle it this past weekend as i thought, and now i don't think i'm gonna have time before i leave for a vacation wednesday morning. It was 3 weeks this past weekend, do you think i could switch it to the secondary (takes much less time) and leave it till i get back (it would be 3 weeks in the primary, 1 week in the secondary). What do you think?

If it were my beer, I'd just leave it in the primary for another week then bottle/keg when I got home.

If it were my beer, I'd just leave it in the primary for another week then bottle/keg when I got home.

Yup, I did a Franziskaner clone and it wsa kegged and carbed by week 3, it was very good. No reason to secondary a wheat.

I don't secondary most of my beers. Except big beers, dry hopped beers, or fruit beers.

And I would especially not secondary a wheat beer. It's supposed to be consumed young, and will be cloudy anyway. It's just not necessary.

so you guys don't think leaving it for another week (it will be 4 weeks total) will do it any harm? If it will, i could bottle it before i leave. It would be a huge pain in my arse to have to do that, but i'll do it if it's gonna go bad if i don't...

Leaving it for another week won't do it any harm. A number of people on HBT don't secondary anymore whether it be out of ease or for other reasons. If it's in a bucket as opposed to a carboy now, you may get some oxidation...But I haven't had problems with the 2 batches which had 4 weeks in buckets. One month with the yeast will often do a beer good.

Latest posts

Back