Should i scrap it or sell it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mknox4354

Reaction score
So I decided I am going to switch from my immersion chiller to my plate chiller. I'm not sure if I should scrap my current one just because copper is like $3 something a lb right now or sell it to a homebrewer. The reason I'm hesitant to sell it to a homebrewer is because I made it myself and it is crazy looking. It is insanely efficient because there is 1/2 on the outer and 3/8 inner but it's not pretty. What do you think?

image-479040666.jpg

Attachments

• image-1022346075.jpg
    image-1022346075.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 276
Keep it. I thought i wasn't going to need my mine when i switched to a plate chiller but i was wrong. Luckily i didn't get ride of it so i still had it to use when things went south during my last brew day. And I don't know how warm the ground water gets in MD but you would use it to chill the water going to the plate chiller in an ice bath.

I agree with keeping it but if you're set on it leaving your home, i'd definitely sell it to a homebrewer.

Keep in mind- while copper's price is definitely up, you won't get what it lists at if you sell it for scrap. Second, by selling it to a homebrewer at a good price, you make their day and further the hobby.

noodle23 said:
Keep it. I thought i wasn't going to need my mine when i switched to a plate chiller but i was wrong. Luckily i didn't get ride of it so i still had it to use when things went south during my last brew day. And I don't know how warm the ground water gets in MD but you would use it to chill the water going to the plate chiller in an ice bath.

Yea that's a really good point

P-J said:
KEEP it until you have a few months of experience with the plate chiller.
(You are in for a rough ride, IMHO)

O really? Care to share please?

I Love my plate chiller. with garden bib water, even during the summer, I can chill down to pitching temp from post-boil in minutes.

The only issues I've ever had is clogging due to whole hop cones -- but now with my screen SS filter in the BK pickup tube I dont see that anymore.

O really? Care to share please?
If you have any debris from your boil going through you plate chiller, you are in for some really dynamic problems.

Take a look at a cutaway of a plate chiller:

Plate-Chiller_cutaway.jpg

There are a bunch of places for hop debris to collect and block the flow through the chiller or just lay in the low flow chanels. That's ok. But how do you clean it out for your next brew? Over time, unless the chiller is cleaned and sanitized, you are in for the infection merry go round.

Hey, It's my opinion...

I think the true lesson learned here today is: If you are going to switch to a plate chiller spend some time making sure you have a clear flow from the BK. That's a minimal investment, especially compared to the price of a plate chiller.

Well I use a hop spider for my hop additions so I really don't ever have much debris so hopefully I'll be ok

ScottSingleton said:
I Love my plate chiller. with garden bib water, even during the summer, I can chill down to pitching temp from post-boil in minutes.

The only issues I've ever had is clogging due to whole hop cones -- but now with my screen SS filter in the BK pickup tube I dont see that anymore.

Yea maybe I'll invest in one of those since they are relatively cheep and could save alot of headache

Back