Should I buy 2 of these????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
I just got into AG brewing and currently I am using a single cooler and a coleman 48 qt as a MLT. I have bought a pump and Therminator and now I just need to set up my pots. I came across these and I was just wondering if it looks like a good deal, and a decent pot? I will need one as my HLT, and one for the boil kettle. If I do buy them, I will probably buy weldless bulk heads for them.

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International/Stock-Pot167555?trackURL=nextag

That does look like a good deal too, and the reviews seems good. What would you guys suggest for a sight glass, and thermometers. Do you think it's even necessary in both?

Sight glass and thermometers IMO are a luxury not a necesity. Those pots will work well for a two pot, two burner system. You could also do a two cooler system w/ 1 pot and 1 burner by just doing all your heating in the kettle, and merely storing the sparge water in the 2nd cooler. Up to you.

i dont wanna be a naysayer, and i haven't moved up to AG yet, but for a HLT and BK, it might be easier to hold temperatures (and hence save power and time) with a less conductive, thicker material such has ss. This depends also on where you're brewing and what your ambient temp is to actually have an effect. (and SS is pretty expensive). if you haven't looked into using retired kegs as keggles, that might be a good way to go. also, make sure to condition the aluminum. you'll have to search for that, but i know putting it dry into an oven at like 350 for a while will do. (not sure of temps or time off hand.) it should have a grayed appearance, not bright and shiny, otherwise you might get off flavors. and you won't want to clean the inside to shiny new, just back to the conditioned state; no scrubbers, steel wool, etc, just a sponge and non scented dish soap or pbw or oxiclean (or similar cleanser).

I just got into AG brewing and currently I am using a single cooler and a coleman 48 qt as a MLT. I have bought a pump and Therminator and now I just need to set up my pots. I came across these and I was just wondering if it looks like a good deal, and a decent pot? I will need one as my HLT, and one for the boil kettle. If I do buy them, I will probably buy weldless bulk heads for them.

http://www.waresdirect.com/products...International/Stock-Pot167555?trackURL=nextag

I have three of those exact pots. I love them. They heat much faster and more evenly than my old stainless steel pots - which means I use less gas and I can also use them on my range. They are lighter and easier to drill. I can't recommend them highly enough.

FYI - I use a RIMS system.

I have three of those exact pots. I love them. They heat much faster and more evenly than my old stainless steel pots - which means I use less gas and I can also use them on my range. They are lighter and easier to drill. I can't recommend them highly enough.

FYI - I use a RIMS system.

thanks for the reply. I actually already have a single tier pumped stand built with a burner for the HLT, and BK. So I think I will go ahead and order 2 of these along with 2 bulkheads. Can anyone recommend where to buy them? Is rebel brewer a good place?

i dont wanna be a naysayer, and i haven't moved up to AG yet, but for a HLT and BK, it might be easier to hold temperatures (and hence save power and time) with a less conductive, thicker material such has ss. This depends also on where you're brewing and what your ambient temp is to actually have an effect. (and SS is pretty expensive). if you haven't looked into using retired kegs as keggles, that might be a good way to go. also, make sure to condition the aluminum. you'll have to search for that, but i know putting it dry into an oven at like 350 for a while will do. (not sure of temps or time off hand.) it should have a grayed appearance, not bright and shiny, otherwise you might get off flavors. and you won't want to clean the inside to shiny new, just back to the conditioned state; no scrubbers, steel wool, etc, just a sponge and non scented dish soap or pbw or oxiclean (or similar cleanser).

Any uninsulated vessel will loose heat. There is nothing wrong with aluminum. As a matter of fact the advantage of aluminum is it's thermal conductivity. You do not have to put the pot dry in an oven at 350* to get it ready to use. Simply filling it with water and boiling will do the trick.

Before you pull the trigger think about one pot being 20 gallons. If you ever do double batches, my pre-boil is 14.8 gallons on an 11 gallon batch. I NEVER regretted getting the 20 gallon pot.

thanks for all the advice guys. I am actually thinking of getting one 80 qt, and one 60qt now because of wild wests suggestion. I am not doing 10 gallon batches yet, but I do plan on it in the near future. I just thought that a 60 should do, but it would be nicer to not be concerned about boil overs. And just to make sure I'm reading the what size does you're mash tun need to be chart, My 48qt cooler should be able to do a 10 gal batch with a max gravity of around 1.075?

what size pots are recomended for 1 bbl brewing and were can you get them for cheap. aluminum or stainless. i see alot of 160's but is 40 gallons enough room for a 31 gallon batch?

Back