Shorten Dip tube for Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamnq6

Reaction score
I'm got a munich helles that I'm prepping for lagering. I'm considiering 'natural fermentation' in a pin-lock keg whilst aging at ~37 degrees.

Any of you guys shortened a dip tube to allow you to 'rack over' from keg to keg leaving precipitants behind??

I'd like to sanitize Keg A (with shortened dip tube), rack over after diacetyl rest, lager for 8 weeks, then push into a Keg B (purged with CO2).

How much should I shorten my dip tube by?? Other thought / comments / ideas???

I lager and serve out of the same keg, I don't bother with the transfer. If your keg sits undisturbed, only the first pint or so will be cloudy and then it'll pour clear. I'm in the camp that says don't bother with shortening the dip tube. Even if you do transfer into a clean keg, just toss the first cloudy pint with a picnic tap, and then transfer, no need to shorten the tube.

Why shorten it, when its time to rack, put enough gas on to slowly dispense from your first keg and pour your trub off. When it starts running clear rack as usual.

I would set the CO2 tank gauge to 1 or 2 psi to gently push the first bit out into a catch bucket, you should see a different color in the line when the finished beer starts to come through, then start a slow transfer to keg #2.

I'm got a munich helles that I'm prepping for lagering. I'm considiering 'natural fermentation' in a pin-lock keg whilst aging at ~37 degrees.

Any of you guys shortened a dip tube to allow you to 'rack over' from keg to keg leaving precipitants behind??

I'd like to sanitize Keg A (with shortened dip tube), rack over after diacetyl rest, lager for 8 weeks, then push into a Keg B (purged with CO2).

How much should I shorten my dip tube by?? Other thought / comments / ideas???

Check this thread, it has everything you need to know....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/closed-system-pressurized-fermentation-technique-44344/

Back