Shopping list for Vermont beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearsmith

Reaction score
I'm going camping close to the VT border in a couple weeks and I'm planning on picking up some beers in Vermont.

Heady topper is at the top of my list. Any other recommendations?

Heady Topper is definitely worth a buy if you've never had it (and it's actually not even that expensive, usually $12-14 for a 4-pack of pint cans). But fair warning: it can be hard to get, even in Vermont. Check The Alchemist's website for a list of stores, including the day of delivery. Most store sell out the same day the delivery comes in. If all you want to do is taste it, it's usually easier to find at bars / restaurants (although they also usually sell out).

Hill Farmstead is world-renowned but the only place to buy packaged beer is at the brewery. If you go on the weekend, plan on waiting an hour or more. As with Heady Topper, it's easier to find at local bars & restaurants.

Fiddlehead is great.
I like Burlington Beer Co, not sure if they distribute much beyond the brewery.

Grateful Hands

Grateful Hands went out of business Jan 1, 2014.

Which VT border? You mean near Canada, NY, Mass, or NH? There's a huge difference in what's available in different areas of Vermont. Southern Vermont has very little distribution outside of a couple breweries.

If you're talking NY border, then Burlington Beer Company and 14th Star cans should be around there. Then the bigger guys Otter Creek/Shed/Wolaver's and Long Trail. You're not going to find any Hill Farmstead - they only sell from the brewery, but you might find it on tap at Whestone in Brattleboro (if you're in SE corner of VT). Alchemist and Lawson's doesn't distribute to Southern VT. Fiddlehead has distributed a couple of times, but now that they are selling out at the brewery, they only send a couple cases per store out to distribution - so it's hard to find.

Other under the radar breweries are Foley Brothers and Hermit Thrush.

Zero gravity might have their new bottling line up by then. They're shooting for end of June sometime. I really like their Conehead IPA.

Grateful Hands went out of business Jan 1, 2014.

Which VT border? You mean near Canada, NY, Mass, or NH? There's a huge difference in what's available in different areas of Vermont. Southern Vermont has very little distribution outside of a couple breweries.

If you're talking NY border, then Burlington Beer Company and 14th Star cans should be around there. Then the bigger guys Otter Creek/Shed/Wolaver's and Long Trail. You're not going to find any Hill Farmstead - they only sell from the brewery, but you might find it on tap at Whestone in Brattleboro (if you're in SE corner of VT). Alchemist and Lawson's doesn't distribute to Southern VT. Fiddlehead has distributed a couple of times, but now that they are selling out at the brewery, they only send a couple cases per store out to distribution - so it's hard to find.

Other under the radar breweries are Foley Brothers and Hermit Thrush.

Sorry, it's been awhile since I went to Vermont and that list was compiled from both memory, and good things I'd heard from a friend who lives there.

Seems like the other breweries on my list were good recommendations but thanks for finding my singular mistake. ;)

Personally, I think Heady Topper is one of the most overrated beers out there. With all the buzz about this beer, I couldn't wait to get my hands on some. When I finally got a can, I was left very underwhelmed. My wife had some and agreed. We've both had many far better IPAs that didn't have nearly the fanfare that this one did.

I'm not saying that it was a bad beer, because it wasn't, but it's not one that knocked my socks off either.

As far as recommendations go, Switchback makes a great extra pale ale. I haven't been as crazy about their other beers though. Long Trail has a lot of good beers, and a big variety too.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to find it in Vermont, but one of my favorite IIPAs is White Birch Brewing's, in New Hampshire, Double IPA.

Personally, I think Heady Topper is one of the most overrated beers out there. With all the buzz about this beer, I couldn't wait to get my hands on some. When I finally got a can, I was left very underwhelmed. My wife had some and agreed. We've both had many far better IPAs that didn't have nearly the fanfare that this one did.

I'm not saying that it was a bad beer, because it wasn't, but it's not one that knocked my socks off either.

Sure it's overrated. It's like 10x harder to get than most specialty beers, even if you live in the area. Of course it's not 10x better. But in my opinion it's a damn fine beer, and anyone who likes IPAs and has the opportunity to try it should do so.

I'm in Stowe today through Wednesday. Think I'm going to try and got to hill farmstead Wed. What would be my best bet for finding heady or sip of sunshine to buy enough to bring back home to people? Can would be interested in going to Burlington on Monday or Tuesday, but don't want the beer hunt to consume the day

I'm in Stowe today through Wednesday. Think I'm going to try and got to hill farmstead Wed. What would be my best bet for finding heady or sip of sunshine to buy enough to bring back home to people? Can would be interested in going to Burlington on Monday or Tuesday, but don't want the beer hunt to consume the day

For Heady, definitely check The Alchemist's website for retail locations and delivery dates. I would not even bother going to a place except on the day of delivery (unless you are literally driving right by it). I have never seen Heady for sale on a non-delivery day. Most stores have a limit of two 4-packs, although a few will sell cases (never tried to buy a case so I don't know how difficult that is).

For Sip of Sunshine, I've found it at the Craft Beer Cellar in Waterbury, but I don't know how regularly it's there. (They're also a Heady distributor, delivery on Wednesday I believe.)

Thanks all! I saw online the beverage warehouse in Winooski got sip of sunshine on Friday (doubt there is any left) ...we are going to try and be there tomorrow for their 10am delivery of heady. If that doesn't work out I will try and hit the craft beer cellar tomorrow i n Waterbury. When we arrived Saturday night we grab some sixers of rock art ipa, shed ipa and long trale Amber.

Successful day! Got the second to last full case at beverage warehouse. Then was able to get two 4 packs of sip of sunshine and lost nations gose at the craft beer cellar in Waterbury. Also had a few samples at prohibition pig (restaurant wasn't open yet) and really like their bantam ipa. Sorry to the OP for hijacking your post

I have started to find Trapp beers in bottles around town. I love their beers. They let simple beers shine, nothing pretentious about that beer.

Back