shirron chiller Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooksh

Reaction score
bought a shirron chiller . dont have pump and only one burner which is very close to the ground (about a feet) do you think i should place the burner a bit higher or do you think the flow will do its job?

It may be pretty difficult to gravity feed if your burner is only 12 inches or so off the ground without a pump. One simple solution is to throw a couple cinder blocks under the burner. That would raise you up another 10 inches. Or you could go further and build a stand to put it on, just up to you.

Chromados.

I backflush my shirron using my sink. It's got the adaptor that will allow you to hook up a hose to it. I use a female hose fitting with 1/2 barb setup and 1/2 inch tubing attached via hose clamp. The hose is just long enough to comfortably go over the 1/2 inch barbed fittings on the chiller. Attach the hose to the chiller, turn on your water (preferably hot) full blast and flus the chiller. I usually go back and forth between the wort out and wort in at least 6 times, 1 minute (sometimes more) each time, with the water on full blast until I have seen nothing come out in a cycle. The hose fittings with 1/2 inch barbs are available at home depot or your LHBS and will attach to any laundry sink, or to your kitchen sink if you replace the standard kitchen sink fitting with an adaptor.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are going from pot to chiller to fermenter you will need to be a lot higher than 1 ft. to use gravity.

I pick my keggle up and put it on a high table (4ft) in the garage after the boil, then gravity feed through my plate chiller and in to my fermenter. Works a charm!

Back