Shipyard Export Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
During my trip on the East Coast last summer, I had the chance to taste the excellent Shipyard Export Ale, both on draft and in bottle.

The quality of this beer greatly impressed me. To be honest I was pretty sure americans only drank budweiser and that all their beers would taste the same. I was wrong :)

Shipyard's website states:

Export is a Canadian-Style golden ale with a hint of sweetness up-front, a subtle and distinctive hop taste and a very clean finish.

I did notice the up-front sweetness, which was very nice and an essential trait into replicating this recipe.

Regarding the hop, it seemed very present, and I would not qualify it as "subtle" as they do. I could not quite identify the variety used, but did pick up hint of classic american citrus notes.. I suppose they use a mix of different hops.. Unfortunately they do not specify it on their website.

I also dug up from various sites that shipyard use their own house Ringwood yeast, which they reuse indefinitely and that they developed a Hop percolator to produce hop tea that is added in the primary fermentation.

Unfortunately "Canadian golden-ale" is not a very well documented style.. And in fact I am canadian but never tasted something quite like shipyard's .. :drunk:

So... I am trying to elaborate a recipe for replicating this brew:

Grain bill:

Canadian 2 row? Or Marris Otter?
I would suspect CaraPils / Dextrin malt, or very high temp mash? Or both.

30 - 35 IBU using cascade or centennial as bittering hops
Hop tea of Cascade and Goldings. Not sure on the exact hops to use here.

Ringwood yeast (WLP-005 according to Yeast Strains )

Any tip to re-create this brew would be well appreciated!

Cheers!

I wish i had some suggestions for yah but I too have been trying to find a clone for this beer as well. I lived in Maine for a couple of years and this was my beer of choice!

Im looking forward to seeing what comes of this...

Can't vouch for the accuracy:

Shipyard Brewing Company – Export Ale
(5 gallon, extract with grains)

OG=1.052
FG=1.013
IBU’S = 30
SRM=8
Alcohol 5.1% by volume

Ingredients
6.6 Lbs. Northwestern Light malt extract syrup
0.5 lb Crystal malt (60L)
0.5 lb Wheat malt
1 tsp Irish moss for 60 min (boil 60 minutes for clarity)
7.2 AAU Cascade hops (boil 60 minutes - bittering hop)
(1.25 Oz. of 5.75% Alpha acid)
3.75 AAU Willamette hops (boil 15 minutes - flavoring hop)
(.75 Oz. of 5.0% alpha acid)
4.5 AAU Tettnanger hops (aroma/finishing hop)
(1.0 Oz. of 4.5% alpha acid)
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast or
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale yeast

O.75 cup of corn sugar for priming.

Step by step
Steep the 2 crushed grains in 3 gallons of water at 148º for 30 minutes. Remove grains from wort, add malt syrup and bring to a boil. Add Cascade (bittering) hops, Irish moss and boil for 60 minutes. Add Willamette hops for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Add the Tettnanger aroma hops for the last 3 minutes of the boil.

When done boiling, add wort to 2 gallons cool water in a sanitary fermenter, and top off with cool water to 5.5 gallons. Cool the wort to 80º, aerate the beer and pitch your yeast. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 68º-70º, and hold at these cooler temperatures until the yeast has fermented completely. Bottle your beer, age for 2-3 weeks and Enjoy!

All grain option:
This is a single infusion mash. Replace the light syrup with 8 lbs. English pale 2-row malt; mash your grains at 148º for 60 minutes. Collect enough wort to boil for 90 minutes and have a 5.5-gallon yield. Lower the amount of Cascade boiling hops to 1.0 oz. to account for higher extraction ratio of a full boil. The remainder of the recipe is the same as the extract.
Bader Beer and Wine Supply: Replicator October 2003- Export Ale

Thanks for the input!

Here's what I settled for:

GRAINS:
5 kg (11 lbs) Canadian 2 row malt
200 gr (7 oz) Crystal 60
200 gr (7 oz) Wheat Malt

HOPS:
0.75oz US Centennial (9.6%) for 60 min
1oz UK Fuggle (3.5%) for 20 min

HOP TEA
1oz Vanguaard (AA unknown)
0.25oz Centennial

Hop tea will be steeped for one hour and then added to the primary fermenter with the cooled wort.

Yeast: White Labs British Ale - Supposed to be a Ringwood yeast, similar to what Shipyard use.

Single infusion mash at 148F.

Target OG for me would be 1.050 since my efficiency is about 75%.
From passed experience, the yeast should give me about 75% apparent attenuation, so an FG of 1.012 is expected, for an ABV of 5%.

I will let you know how well it worked!

that looks good. I would up the crystal to a pound maybe if you want more sweetness and use torrified wheat... As far as the yeast, the brewery was named Ringwood and I'm not sure if that means they used Ringwood yeast...I think any British strain would work though, London Ale, Ringwood, etc;

Thier beers are pretty good!

I got many great information from this interview with Shipyard's head brewer:

Shipyard Brewing Company LLC Brewer Interview - Brew-Monkey.Com

Shipyard is very much influenced by Ringwood apparently (Peter Austin of Ringwood helped setup the brewery and train shipyard's head brewer)
And I am pretty sure they would not change their yeast for another.. They state in the interview being at over 1000 generations of the same yeast..

From what I can tell, Ringwood yeast is known for an orangey fruitiness, nice hop accentuation and noticeable buttery notes. Similar to other classic english yeast, yes... but different.

McAuslan brewery here in Montreal (makers of the excellent St-Ambroise oatmeal stout and pale ale), use the Ringwood yeast exclusively also, which is very noticeable in their pale ale, imho..

Now, regarding upping the crystal: I was afraid of coloring the beer too much.. I thought of using CaraPils though, but decided to try without first..

And for torrified wheat, never used that.. Thats sound a little bit weird.. You think it would increase the sweetness? Probably would cause a color problem too (!)

Brewed yesterday!

Got bad efficiency and missed my target OG (dang, long time it had not happened!).

OG was 1.047. Not too bad but it will be a tad lighter than the real thing.

Final recipe was, for 23 Liters (6 US gal)

5 kg Canadian 2 row
200 gr Crystal 60
200 gr Wheat Malt

1oz Galena (10%) @ 60
1oz Fuggles (4%) @ 25
1oz Vanguard @ hop tea added to primary

I steeped the vanguard in 500ml of water, and kept it a 70C (158F) for 40 minutes, before adding to the primary with the cooled wort.

Yeast: WLP-005 British Ale

I'll update the thread with my comments once I have tasted the final results.

OK, so I promessed I would update the thread and the time has come!

I missed it.. The beer turned out to be a perfect American Pale Ale, not a Golden Ale...

The 1 oz of Galena 10% @ 60 min shifted the bitterness way too high for the style. The beer is very good but just way too bitter for a golden ale (blond ale, in bjcp terms). Should have been more like an half ounce..

On the bright side, the hop + fruity yeast aroma is perfect. I am pretty sure shipyard has that same "noble" hop aroma (I used a Vanguaard hop tea). Mixed with the not-so-subtle fruity aroma from the Ringwood yeast, it is very pleasing.

Appearance: a tad too dark, but really not that much. Crystal 60 might have been a bit too high. I would subsitute it for crystal 30 next time.. but that is not a big mistake, the bitterness is the major flaw.

All in all, the beer is very good and as an hop head, I do enjoy it. The lighter body and subdued malt profile makes it a quite hop forward beer. I would recommend lowering the bittering hops too make a crowd pleasing beer...

Cheers!

OK, so I promessed I would update the thread and the time has come!

I missed it.. The beer turned out to be a perfect American Pale Ale, not a Golden Ale...

The 1 oz of Galena 10% @ 60 min shifted the bitterness way too high for the style. The beer is very good but just way too bitter for a golden ale (blond ale, in bjcp terms). Should have been more like an half ounce..

On the bright side, the hop + fruity yeast aroma is perfect. I am pretty sure shipyard has that same "noble" hop aroma (I used a Vanguaard hop tea). Mixed with the not-so-subtle fruity aroma from the Ringwood yeast, it is very pleasing.

Appearance: a tad too dark, but really not that much. Crystal 60 might have been a bit too high. I would subsitute it for crystal 30 next time.. but that is not a big mistake, the bitterness is the major flaw.

All in all, the beer is very good and as an hop head, I do enjoy it. The lighter body and subdued malt profile makes it a quite hop forward beer. I would recommend lowering the bittering hops too make a crowd pleasing beer...

Cheers!
Going to try this recipe tomorrw. I'm brewing with the following.

11 gals

14 lbs Best Pils
1 lb Med Crystal (30 - 40L)
1 lb Best Wheat Malt
3 lbs Best Munich I (7 - 9L)

Boil Hops 14.4 HBU (60 mins)
Flavor 7.0 HBU (15 mins)
Aroma 1 oz (after knock out while wort is chilling)

Butron Salts 2 tea for 60 min
Irish Moss 2 tea last 15 mins

1/2 gal Wyeast Ringwood yeast starter

Still need to decide what type of hops I'm using. Going out to the garage and checking what I have in the frezzer.

Going to use a step mash only because I'm getting used to doing them again on most of my beers. It seems to give me a fuller body and I tend to enjoy most of my beers better this way. I think I'm only going to use single steps in the future for when I want a drier beer with a lower terminal gravity.

Steps
30 mins @ 122 deg
30 mins @ 154 deg
10 mins @ 170 deg

Going to try this recipe tomorrw. I'm brewing with the following.

11 gals

14 lbs Best Pils
1 lb Med Crystal (30 - 40L)
1 lb Best Wheat Malt
3 lbs Best Munich I (7 - 9L)

Boil Hops 14.4 HBU (60 mins)
Flavor 7.0 HBU (15 mins)
Aroma 1 oz (after knock out while wort is chilling)

Butron Salts 2 tea for 60 min
Irish Moss 2 tea last 15 mins

1/2 gal Wyeast Ringwood yeast starter

Still need to decide what type of hops I'm using. Going out to the garage and checking what I have in the frezzer.

Going to use a step mash only because I'm getting used to doing them again on most of my beers. It seems to give me a fuller body and I tend to enjoy most of my beers better this way. I think I'm only going to use single steps in the future for when I want a drier beer with a lower terminal gravity.

Steps
30 mins @ 122 deg
30 mins @ 154 deg
10 mins @ 170 deg
Went with Summit Hops for the boil. Used Kent Goldings for the flavor and aroma additions. Gravity ended up just a little higher than I wanted at 1.054. Will post on here how the beer came about in about 2 months.

i ran this recipe about 3 weeks ago- had to use white labs#1 which turned out to be dead, but saved the batch using sefale 04 yeast. went to bottle 10 days after second pitch and it tasted pretty close using memory only. color was a touch dark but flavor profile was dead on

Dude just tried that beer and it tastes terrible it tasted like the grain bill was 5 lb marris otter 5 lb white wheat and 7lb crystal 40 and used raisins instead of hops.

Back