Shipping LME in 100+ temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperslug

Reaction score
I have found many posts on shipping yeast in hot temps but nothing about shipping liquid malt extract. I live in the Dallas area and order most of my kits from AHS. I know they pull thier LME from bulk containers and they say it is very perishable. Should I be concerned about having LME shipped in 100+ temps? The last couple of beers I ordered DME out of concern.

Their seals aren't that good sometimes though. I've had two shipments of leaked LME. Not enough that it would effect a recipe, but still . . . I wish AHS would change shippers. UPS is so abusive. It doesn't help that I'm shipping them to New York, and it takes 5 days transit time.

You should be good being in the TX area, shipping couldn't take more than a day or two! And UPS is where its at. I refuse to use any other shipper!

I think it must be the local UPS facility. No matter where I order from, my boxes looks like someone sat on them and punched them. With FedEx, I've never had a problem. DHL was always the best but no one uses them anymore.

Gawd...last time I ordered LME in this heat, it all arrived dead. It was awful. Poor little critters...

:D

I throw all my malt products vacuum sealed into my deep freeze, and my yeast in the fridge until brew day (or the day I want to make a starter in the case of yeasts...)

I'm in Dallas and I've ordered LME from AHS a couple times this summer and it turned out ok so far, tasty beer was the end result.

Yep, my Apocalypso kit, and my custom ingredient kit i've ordered from them have all arrived literally the next day and i haven't ever had any quality issues. I ordered these at the beginning of the month when it was even hotter than it is now.

Back